www.myanmarmade.com (r)

Dear Heiko,

Now that is interesting. I've been having a
discussion recently with a few people about the
Burma Out of Sydney 2000 Olympics campaign. Some
people want to support the campaign, some want
to have Burma come to Sydney. The discussion
revolves around whether the sports people are
SLORC/SPDC people whose training costs and
resources have been gained through oppression
and repression of civilian Burmese people; or
are they "genuine" sports people whose level of
achievement has been gained through their own
endeavours and who should be given the
opportunity to experience the Olympics.

In relation to business dealings with Burma :
"In a video-recorded statement smuggled out of
Burma, Aung San Suu Kyi describes the country as
a huge prison and calls on the European Union,
the United States and the rest of the world to
help the cause of democracy by imposing economic
sanctions." (BBC news)

Is there a similar position, do you think, to be
taken on the international community's
engagement with sporting activities, (or art, or
music, or dance, or ......... events) that are
coming out of Burma, based on the premise that
such activities are SLORC/SPDC
endorsed/approved.

Or is there a need for decision making about
boycotts on a case by case basis in case there
are legitimate Burmese people involved in
trading/etc out of Burma? Could anyone (besides
SLORC/SPDC people on Burmanet) give a public
100% guarantee on Burmanet that myanmarmade.com
has no relationship with SLORC/SPDC? Perhaps the
people who have addressed me privately on this
matter complaining how unfair I have been to
myanmarmade.com can give me that assurance
publicly on Burmanet.

Maybe I should just believe that those travel
tour companies inside Burma are run by non
SLORC/SPDC connected Burmese business people
without any coerced labour at all and that the
tourist accommodation has not been built over
the houses of now displaced people.

Maybe I should just go online shopping after all
and forget about erring on the side of caution.

What do you think?

Regards,
SL