Burmese border closures temporary,

Subject: Burmese border closures temporary, Surin told

that the controversial closure of border checkpoints and revocation of
fishing licences from Thai fishermen in Burmese waters were temporary
measures and would be lifted after Rangoon had finished finalising
security measures. <br>
''This is only temporary. The relations between the two countries are
good,'' said Hla Maung after meeting with Foreign Minister Surin
Pitsuwan. <br>
''The border and the fishery restrictions are precautionary measures
against any movement along the border which may present a national
security threat,'' he said. <br>
The envoy said relations should return to normal soon but refused to give
any time-frame. <br>
Surin quoted Hla Maung as saying the measures were temporary and would be
lifted as soon as security procedures were put in place by the Burmese
side. <br>
Yesterday, Surin urged Burma to resume normal relations with Thailand.
Surin told Hla Maung that the border and fishery restrictions were not in
line with the spirit reflected in two letters this week, the first of
which was written to Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai from his counterpart
Than Shwe and the second to Deputy Prime Minister Bhichai Rattakul from
Khin Nyunt, the first secretary of the State Peace and Development
Council. <br>
Speaking to reporters, Surin said the closing of the border checkpoints
and revocation of fishery licences might affect other activities to the
detriment of the two peoples. <br>
Reiterating Thailand's sincerity in dealing with the siege of the Burmese
Embassy last week, Surin said he had told Hla Maung that Thailand had
been keeping the Burmese authorities informed of all developments
throughout the siege. <br>
He said Thailand had conducted the operation under a common understanding
and agreement with Burma that the hostage crisis should be resolved in a
peaceful and non-violent manner. The concerns over the lives of hostages,
Burmese officials among them, formed the basic understanding in the
operation, he said. <br>
''We hope Burma understands our sincerity in our efforts to prevent any
harm to lives or property, even to the extent that we risked the safety
of our own leaders,'' he told the envoy. <br>
<BR>