U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE DAILY PRE

Subject: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE  DAILY PRESS BRIEFING ON THE HOSTAGE DRAMA

Dear Folks,
                      The following is the U.S. Department of State Daily
Press Briefing and the hostage crisis that took place at the Burmese embassy
in Bangkok, Thailand is covered in the briefing below. The extract is from
the press briefing. The question by a reporter and the answer given by James
Rubin , the spokesman of the U.S. Dept. of State are as follows.

Sincerely,

Julien Moe

                           U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
                              DAILY PRESS BRIEFING
                                     DPB #124
                        FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1, 1999, 12:43 P.M.
                  (ON THE RECORD UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED)

QUESTION: Do you know anything more about the situation at the Burmese
embassy in Bangkok? Is
there an American being held in there? Do you know anything about this group
that is occupying it, what the
status of all that is?

MR. RUBIN: We can confirm that about 12 individuals identifying themselves
as Burmese activists seized
the Burmese embassy in Bangkok today at about noon local time. We strongly
condemn this terrorist attack
on a diplomatic establishment and the taking of hostages, regardless of the
perpetrators' motives or demands.
There is, simply, no justification for terrorism under any circumstances. We
hold the perpetrators responsible
for the safety of the hostages. They should release them immediately and
unconditionally.

At this time, there is conflicting information. We have seen reports
indicating that there may be an American
citizen among the hostages. However, Thai authorities have told our embassy
in Bangkok that to the best of
their knowledge, there are no Americans among the hostages. We continue to
pursue information about
possible Americans.

Let me point out that the United States certainly is second to none in
opposing the policies of the Burmese
leadership that have repressed their own people, denied democracy to Aung
San Suu Kyi and the numerous
other brave activists who have sought only their legitimate international
rights. Having said that, however, we
condemn the use of terrorism for any purpose.

End Of Text....