: Statement of CSB

<b>Statement of CSB regarding the seizure of the Burmese Embassy in
Bangkok by Vigorous Student Worriers</b>.<br>
people.&nbsp; Before<br>
blaming those who used violent means we need to find out why the
Burmese<br>
students raided the Burmese Embassy.&nbsp; There are many reasons:<br>
1. Historical Student Union Building was blown up by the military
leaders<br>
2. Independent student organizations have been&nbsp; outlawed since
1962-63.<br>
3. Universities and Colleges have been closed since 1996.<br>
4. Student leaders have been in prison since 1988-89<br>
5. Ignored the 1990 election results<br>
6. Forced labor.<br>
7. Food shortage<br>
8. Unjust and oppressive laws<br>
9. Lack of freedom.<br>
The Military regime has been using violent means since it gained
control<br>
of thecountry's political power.&nbsp; As a result, the students who love
their<br>
country and want to see its development took action.&nbsp; They have
been<br>
waiting for democratic change since the 1990 election but instead
of<br>
developing, they see their country deteriorating day by day.&nbsp;
Finally, they<br>
understand that non-violent means cannot work with a regime which<br>
only knows how to use force.&nbsp; If we have to blame someone for
this<br>
terrorist act, the military leaders are the ones who are
responsible.<br>
We sympathize with those who risk their lives for our motherland.&nbsp;
We support<br>
their demand to free all political prisoners in Burmese prisons.<br>
We warn the Burmese regime to reconsider their non-cooperative
stand.&nbsp; If<br>
they really care about their official lives, they need to compromise
and<br>
solve the problem by peaceful means.&nbsp; The regime has not released
the<br>
political prisoners, but the terrorists freed their hostages, which shows
that<br>
they are not violent people.&nbsp; Indeed they are nationalist educated
Burmese<br>
students who are willing to die for their country.<br>
We are very thankful to the Thai authorities for not using violent
means.<br>
There are many peaceful solutions to the Burmese problems.&nbsp; In the
eyes of the<br>
regime and the world they are terrorists but in the eyes of the
Burmese<br>
people they are heroes.<br>
We salute them for their courage and selflessness.<br>
Civil Society for Burma<br>