Burma Courier No. 200 Oct 2, 19

Subject: Burma Courier No. 200     Oct 2, 1999

BURMA COURIER No. 200          Sept 19 - Oct 2, 1999

"Please use your liberty to help promote ours."
-- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma

Headlines:
	FREEDOM FIGHTERS RELEASE HOSTAGES AND ESCAPE
	MILITARY INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS FACE COURT CHALLENGE
	KAREN VILLAGERS AND AN ARMY CAPTAIN SPEAK OUT
	THANTLANG CHRISTIANS GO INTO HIDING
	REFUGEES SHELLED AFTER BEING FORCED BACK TO BURMA
	YEN UP, KYAT DOWN, AS JUNTA LOOKS TO JAPAN FOR AID
	FREE BURMA COALITION TURNS TO 'MUCKRAKING'

Embassy incident

FREEDOM FIGHTERS RELEASE HOSTAGES AND ESCAPE
BurmaNews - BC:  October 2, 1999  (compiled from many sources)

BANGKOK -- Five Burmese freedom fighters who seized the Rangoon junta's
embassy in Thailand on Friday escaped into the countryside at Suan Phung
close to the Thai-Burma border in Ratchaburi province on Saturday.

Thai deputy foreign minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra and a second official,
Chaiyapluer Saengcharuen, who accompanied the group to the border later
returned safely to the capital.   The two went with the freedom fighters to
the border in a helicopter, as replacements for a group of 23 hostages whom
the freedom fighters released before taking off.

The hostages and several others who were released earlier were embassy
staff and foreigners who were in the building at the time of the takeover
about noon on Friday.  Sukhumbhand was in charge of the negotiations which
led to a peaceful conclusion to the incident.  Other hostages were said to
have left the compound on their own.

During the siege the freedom fighters succeeded in removing the military
junta's flag from the embassy staff and replacing it with the red and gold
fighting peacock banner of the student pro-democracy movement.  A statement
faxed to the Thai media and news agencies during takeover demanded the
release of all political prisoners in Burma and negotiations between the
military government and the CRPP, which represents the majority of the
elected parliamentarians of Burma.

The freedom fighters successfully bluffed negotiators and their hostages
into believing that their group consisted in as many as twelve fully armed
individuals.  Shots rang out of the embassy on various occasions, but
apparently no one was hurt during the incident.  As many as 80 persons were
said to have been in the embassy when it was seized.

The freedom fighters who styled themselves the 'Vigorous Burmese Student
Warriors' denied that their group had connections with any of the other
student, opposition or  Burmese support groups either inside or outside of
Burma. "This action is our own movement and our own idea," their statement
declared.   It also said that they had been involved with the Burmese
democracy movement since 1988 and that they were ready to pay with their
lives to achieve their aims.

Student groups in Bangkok, who denied any link with the armed group in the
embassy compound, said the leader of the group, identified as Johnny, was
believed to be Kyaw Oo, a 30-year old former military cadet.

Other Burmese exile groups in Thailand also denied any connection with the
Warriors and the seizure of the embassy.  But a group of eight
organizations including the Foreign Affairs Committee of National Council
of the Union of Burma (NCUB) and the Alternative Asean Network on Burma
(ALTSEAN) warned that the incident was a "wake-up call" to the ASEAN bloc
of nations to address the "root causes" of the problems of Burma that had
pushed the Warriors to take their drastic action.  They urged the Thai
government to immedately initiate a diplomatic offensive to push for
positive reforms in Burma before the situation there worsened any further.

Three Canadians seeking tourist visas were said to be among the group of
foreign hostages who were held at the embassy.  At the United Nations,
Foreign Minister Lloyd Axworthy said that all concerned, including junta
officials, were seeking a peaceful solution to the incident.   Burmese
student groups in Canada were in consultation Friday with a view to
organizing public information meetings in several cities across the
country.

Political developments

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS FACE COURT CHALLENGE
Based on AFP, BBC and NLD (LA) reports:  September 28, 1999

RANGOON -- The National League for Democracy (NLD) finally got its day in
court this week to argue its criminal case against twenty nine government
officials including Military Intelligence Chief Gen Khin Nyunt and Home
Affairs Minister Col Tin Hlaing.

The complaint against the junta officials dates back to last January when
the party filed a suit against the officials accusing them of illegally
arresting NLD members and forcing them to resign from their positions and
from the party "by threats, intimidation and illegal forceful pressure from
members of the military intelligence units".

NLD General Secretary Aung San Suu Kyi accompanied by deputy chairman U Tin
Oo and several party members were in court for the presentation, a
government statement said.

Burmese courts have heard several cases filed by the NLD against the
military in recent years, but none of the complaints have been upheld.  The
latest hearing was barred to journalists and diplomats, and an eyewitness
said a US diplomat who tried to enter the court was turned away.

Authorities also barred foreign diplomats and journalists who tried to
attend the eleventh anniversary celebration of the founding of the NLD
from reaching party headquarters last Monday. Witnesses said riot police
set up a blockade to divert traffic and limit attendance at the low-key
ceremony to mark the anniversary.  It was the third time in less than a
month that access to the NLD offices had been restricted.  A limited number
of NLD party members were allowed to attend the event.

For the first time in more than two months, the NLD was able to get news
bulletins and statements to its supporters in Thailand.  More than two
dozen are waiting to be translated, including the anniversary statement
issued this week.

JUSTICE JITTERS BEGIN TO UNNERVE RANGOON BRASS

BANGKOK, Sept 27 (FEER) -- Burma's military leaders may be listening hard
to United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Mary Robinson.  Her suggestion
that those guilty of atrocities in East Timor should be brought before an
international war crimes tribunal touches a particularly raw nerve in
Rangoon. For years, several international human rights organizations and
Burma support groups have been collecting detailed information about
alleged human rights violations.

Now, opposition sources say many feel the time is ripe to present the
evidence in an international court of justice.  Most of the material is
published annually by the National Coalition Government of the Union of
Burma, the opposition's government in exile. These are 700 to 800 page
volumes that detail alleged atrocities, the names of the army officers
allegedly involved and the names of victims. Given that Burmese military
intelligence sources have infiltrated many of these groups, the junta
almost certainly knows what is in the wind.

International focus

MILITARY WANTS TO GIVE UP POWER, FOREIGN MINISTER CLAIMS
Based on an article in the Bangkok Post and Free Burma reports:  September
28, 1999

NEW YORK  --  We are like people holding a hand grenade," the Burmese
junta's Minister of Foreign Affairs U Win Aung said on Friday "where the
safety pin is out."

In a speech to the Asia Society in New York, Win Aung admitted previous
economic errors, said the current regime was in power reluctantly, and
discussed the problem of ethnic divisions in the border regions.

The hand grenade image, which startled diplomats, business people, Burmese
officials and dissidents in attendance, referred to "a society which had
been torn apart in the past, but which, under the new Constitution, is
coming together again".  The foreign minister said his government had been
arguing over the best way to bring in the warring factions, but insisted
that it must be done.   "We must stop the fighting, because we cannot
survive without national  unity." He said there must be power-sharing in
Burma. "This is the only solution, so that we can gradually form a sense of
unity."

Win Aung also claimed that "the present government is a transitional one.
Our goal is to
end this for greater democracy. But we cannot survive without the unity of
our people". He said isolationism and past economic policies had been
mistakes, and that a market economy was the only way for Burma to prosper.
"We plan to privatize 100% of the state sector," he said.

In a rebuttal, David I. Steinberg, director of Asian Studies at Georgetown
University, said that, far from the minister's avowal of Burma's recent
progress, "the evidence is that the government is hunkering down and ... is
more isolated than it has been since 1988".  Mr Steinberg said Burmese
military officers "feel they cannot relinquish essential powers because of
their perceptions of internal threats to the unity of the state".  He said
the military has isolated itself from the people through its suspicion. He
did not believe it had any intention of surrendering power.

In a heated reply, Win Aung claimed that Western governments and people
were demonizing his country.  He also denid that there had ever been human
rights violations or religious repression under the military government
that has ruled Burma since 1988.

Outside the building where the Foreign Minister spoke, Free Burma
supporters demonstrated for over two hours chanting slogans, distributing
leaflets, and calling for the release of political prisoners.  Several who
had bought tickets early for the breakfast debate were told at the last
minute that there was not enough table space to accommodate them.

In their own words

KAREN VILLAGERS AND AN ARMY CAPTAIN SPEAK OUT
>From a report released on September 15 by Karen Human Rights Group
Check out the full report:
http://metalab.unc.edu/freeburma/humanrights/khrg/archive

The Karen Human Rights Group has just issued one of its regular updates on
the sitiuation in Thaton District including Hpa-an township in the western
part of Karen state and the northern parts of Mon state near the Gulf of
Martaban. Entitled, Caught in the Middle, the report highlights the plight
of villagers who struggle to exist in an area where the force of the Karen
National Union (known as the KNLA) are constantly engaged in low-intensity
guerrilla warfare with the Burmese military and the Karen surrogate army
known as the DKBA.

"The villagers are caught in the middle; not only do they have to hand over
money and food to all three groups on a regular basis, but they are
severely punished by the SPDC and the DKBA every time the KNLA takes any
action. Rather than seek out and fight the KNLA, the SPDC forces in the
area try to undermine the KNLA by stripping villagers of all of their
belongings, detaining and torturing them on a regular basis, committing
random killings and occasionally burning houses. These tactics are supposed
to make it impossible for the villagers to support the KNLA, but the KNLA
continues to operate. According to media reports and both KNU and SPDC
sources, on September 5th the KNLA blew up and temporarily crippled a small
gas pipeline near Bilin town in Thaton District, which is likely to lead to
even further punishments and repression being inflicted on the villagers."

For the record here are brief accounts by villagers themselves who were
interviewed by the KNU either in Thailand or on location in Burma itself.

Interview with "Naw Mu Mu Wah" a 29 year old woman from a village in Hpa'an
township

"We worked in our ricefield and we planted sugar cane, but we could not eat
because of all their demands. The government also demands 'obligation'
rice. We only had a small rice field, and they demanded 6 baskets of paddy
from my mother. The paddy all died, but we had to give this to them anyway.
? The sugar cane was also damaged, but we had to pay 'obligation' on that
as well. We didn't have a single grain of paddy to eat, it had all died.
But we had to give them paddy regardless. We couldn't give them any, so we
had to give them money instead. They forced us to give them 200 Kyat for
each basket of paddy. We had to pay 1,200 Kyat in lieu of our 6 baskets of
paddy. All the villagers who have a field have to pay. We have to give
whatever they ask. If you don't pay it, you can't stay there. They will
drive you out of the village."

----------------------------------

Interview with "Saw Eh Htoo" forcibly recruited from his home village in
Bilin township to porter military supplies

"We'd been carrying for 3 days when they beat the first porter to death.
They beat him to death at Dta Oo Nee village, on the stream bank in front
of peoples' houses. The village women saw but they made no sound. The next
day at 2 p.m. a battle occurred, and that evening they beat the other man
to death at the edge of Ler Ga Dter village, because he couldn't carry
things anymore. The first man they killed was Doh Koh and the other was Mya
Gyi. Doh Koh was about 40 years old and had a wife and 4 children. ? I
think Mya Gyi was my age. He also had a wife and 2 children."

------------------------------------
>From an interview with "Saw Thay Htoo" a thrity-five year old villager from
Thaton township.  According to the witness, 35), the Burmese military beat
the woman because they said they'd seen her dog near a group of KNLA
soldiers and therefore she must be KNLA herself.

"[T]hey beat one of the village women. ? They hit her 30 or 40 times on her
head. I saw them beat her. They beat her savagely. They beat her with the
same size of stick that they used to beat me. They hit her with the end of
the stick."

------------------------------

Text of a letter  from an Burmese military captain to villagers in Thaton
District after he had been rotated out of the region in December 1998

"I am so thankful for all your help, the food and everything else you gave
when our Battalion was in xxxx. I hope that all of you will understand and
forgive us for what we said, ordered of you and did to you. These were our
duties and were done under orders. I do apologize for our previous deeds.
Actually, we and all of you are brothers and sisters."

Monitor

THANTLANG CHRISTIANS GO INTO HIDING
Based on reports from CHRO, MIZZIMA and NLM:  September 29, 1999

HAKHA -- Nearly all of the men in Thantlang town have gone into hiding
after two leading pastors of the Thantlang Baptist Association were
arrested on September 7.

The two Christian ministers, the Rev Biak Kam, secretary of the township
Baptist association and the Rev Thawng Kam, senior pastor of the 1,500
member Thantlang Baptist church, were arrested and taken away to a military
outpost in Lungler where they have been held incomunicado ever since.
They are accused of calling a meeting at the Thantlang church without
permission. They had called the meeting to discuss how to deal with the
authorities in connection with the arrests of headmen from twelve of the
villages in the township and three of the wards in Thantlang town.

The headmen were detained after a soldier of Battalion #266 disappeared
while on  patrol between the villages of Tlangpi and Farrawn on June 26.
The arrests came when a long search for the missing man proved fruitless.
According to Chin sources, the chairmen of Tlangpi and Farrawn were taken
to Hakha town where they were tortured and sentenced, the former to a
twelve years with rigorous imprisonment, the latter to two to three years
with rigorous imprisonment.   Ward Chairman Pu Ceu Hnin of the block where
the Baptist church is located was said to have had all his teeth knocked
out during his interrogation.

In New Delhi on Tuesday, more than a hundred Chin Christians staged a two
hour silent protest at the Janta Manta.  They were joined by Buddhists and
Muslims in their demonstration.  Statements issued by the protesters
accused the Burmese government of systematically persecuting Christians in
Chin state. They demanded the immediate release of the detained pastors and
respect for freedom of religion in their homeland.

The arrest of the two pastors marked a culminating point in a long series
of incidents, including the confiscation of church lands, the destruction
of Christian religious symbols in public places, the enforcement of
regulations calling for the translation of sermons into Burmese before
delivery and the closing of village schools, that Christians in the state
have objected to.  A large majority of the population of the state are
Christian believers.

In August a thousand Naga Christians fled across the border from Sagaing
division in northwestern Burma into neighbouring Nagaland state in India
alleging that their churches had been occupied and desecrated by Burmese
army units.

Reports from Karen state repeatedly make reference to the burning of
Christian churches in villages where the Burmese military is waging a war
of attrition aimed at wiping out resistance by guerrillas fighting under
the banner of the Karen National Union.

A week ago leaders of the Myanmar Christian Council met with Gen Khin Nyunt
of the ruling military council to discuss matters related to reports of
persecution.

A news account of the meeting published in the New Light of Myanmar on
Monday said the church delegation had reported to the general "on various
accusations made recently by unfabulous elements" and had "clarified" that
these accusations had been made "with the sole intention to create
misunderstanding among the various religions living peacefully together in
the country". The First Secretary was reported to have presented gifts to
Chairman U M Zaw Yaw of the MCC and said prayers with the delegation.

A statement issued by the Baptist World Alliance in Washington this week
said that the BWA was "very concerned" about the situation in Burma.  It
drew attention to a visit to Rangoon in June by the General Secretary of
the BWA along with a human rights team, and said that they had spoken with
Baptist leaders. "As they are persecuted whenever they try to speak out and
many fear doing so, the situation has to be handled very carefully," a
spokesperson for the Association said.

Refugee update

REFUGEES SHELLED AFTER BEING FORCED BACK TO BURMA
>From reports by the KHRG, MIZZIMA and NGO groups:  September 30, 1999

MAE SOT -- A temporary settlement of Karen refugees on the Burmese side of
Moei river near the large camp of Mae La on the Thai side was heavily
shelled recently by Burmese army troops in the area, the Karen Human Rights
Group (KHRG) reports.

Some of the families at the settlement, known as Tee Ner Hta had been
forced back across the border by the Thai army after they tried to gain
access to Mae La.  The refugees were fleeing forced relocation of their
villages in Nabu township in the south-eastern corner of Hpa'an district of
Karen state.  37 families from the same area had previously been allowed
into the Mae La camp.

The families remaining at Tee Ner Hta then fled northwards to another
temporary site at Law Thay Hta where over 60 families are now clustered.
But heavy fighting between units of the Burmese Army and the KNU's 7th
Brigade north of Law Thay Hta compelled many of the refugees there to cross
into Thailand on September 25.

On Tuesday, the refugees returned again to the Burmese side of the Moei
when KNU troops in the area convinced them that they were in danger of
discovery by Thai authorities and that immediate danger of an attack by
Burmese troops had passed.  All have expressed a desire to get to the Mae
La (Beh Klaw) camp.

In interviews with the KHRG, the refugees have confirmed that the Burmese
military (SPDC) is intensifying its efforts to clear villages in Nabu
(T'Nay Hsah) township.  They report that troops of Battalion #102 have
ordered the villages of Kwih Lay, Pah Klu and Taw Oak to move to a location
close to Ker Ghaw where the  Democractic Karen Buddhist Karen Army (DKBA)
have a camp.  Similarly, the villages Saw Ko, Thay K'Dtee, and Taw Thu Kee
have been ordered to relocate to Tee Wah Blaw.

Villagers from the area around T'Nay Hsah (Nabu) told KHRG interviewers
that SPDC troops have come into their villages, occupied their houses,
looted their belongings and livestock, then burned the farmfield huts,
leaving them homeless. The Army then informed the villagers that they must
continue working in their fields, and that once they finish harvesting the
rice (in December) they will be expected to deliver all baskets to the
soldiers. If they wish to get their own rice back, they will have to buy it
back from the Army for 250 Kyat per basket.  This is particularly difficult
because the villagers have virtually no money, and their gardens and
livestock have already been confiscated by the Army with the occupation of
their villages.

The new arrivals continue to bring reports of forced labour, military
portering, abuse and wanton killing in the area. While serving as a porter
from Kwih Lay to Pah Klu,  one villager witnessed rapes conducted by
Burmese army soldiers, including the rape of one mother of two who is
mentally handicapped in Pah Klu.  When her husband got angry and threatened
the rapists with revenge, he was taken outside the village and killed

In statements issued to NGOs and the UNHCR, Thai authorities have denied
refusing the refugees entry to camps on their side of the river. The Tak
Provincial Board, which is now responsible for granting permission to stay
at the camps, still does not have a recognized procedure in place for new
arrivals.

With the closing out of the camp at Huay Kalok (Wangka) pressure is growing
on the camp at Mae La which is the only one in the area that is close to
the border. NGO sources indicate that up to 60 families (approximately 300
people) per month are being received at the Mae La camp where over 30,000
are already housed.

The move of Wangka to Umpiem Mai proceeds steadily with about 900 families
now transferred (between 4,000 and 4,500 people)and it is hoped to complete
the move by October 5.  Approximately fifteen hundred  families or a little
over two thirds of the pre-move population will have made the move by then.

Meanwhile, repatriation of Rohingya refugees from two camps in southern
Bangladesh has resumed at a snail's pace with anywhere from five to thirty
refugees a week making the crossing into Burma from the border port of
Teknaf.  In the three months since the visit of junta foreign minister, Win
Aung, only 204 have returned.  Once again this week, the Commissioner for
Repatriation of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh expressed his
disappointment over the delays in implementing the program.  Slowness in
issuing identity papers to the returning refugees as well as pressure by
militant groups in the two camps is blamed for the slowness.

Bottom line

YEN UP, KYAT DOWN, AS JUNTA LOOKS TO JAPAN FOR AID
Based on AFP and NLM reports:  September 29, 1999

WASHINGTON -- ASEAN finance ministers who met with Japan's Kiichi Miyazawa
in Washington this week did not request an increase in the 30 billion
dollar rescue package that has the name of the Japanese finance minister
attached to it.

The aid destined for countries hard-hit by Asia's economic downturn was
originally offered to Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Korea and
Thailand.  Japan has also said it is negotiating with Vietnam over the
extension of yen loans. But Burma has been specifically excluded from
receiving any help under the Miyazawa plan ever since it was put into
operation a year ago.

Nevertheless, Burmese junta representatives who were present at the meeting
with Miyazawa, as well as the sessions of the World Bank and International
Monetary Fund which followed, were apparently not deterred from putting in
yet another bid for Japanese assistance .  A Japanese official confirmed
after the meeting that "Myanmar had expressed its interest" in getting aid
from his country.  Japan had told the junta delegates that possible aid
projects would be judged on the merits of their content, the official said,
noting that there were no specific proposals on the table at the present
time.

The main subject under discussion at the meeting was the strong Japanese
yen and how this may affect Japan's recovery from its own economic slump.
While the strength of the yen may be good for ASEAN countries selling into
the Japanese market, its rise could hurt Japan's exports to the rest of the
world.

Currency exchange worries of the opposite kind have been plaguing the
economic gurus in Rangoon over the few weeks.  A week ago the kyat slid to
new lows against the US dollar on the currency blackmarket in Rangoon where
the rate has risen to 360 to the dollar from about 330 in May.  Sources
said raids had been conducted on local money traders.

Recently, foreign exchange certificates (FECs), a defacto currency which
foreigners are required to purchase on entry into the country, have been
gaining wider use the country.
Visitors have to change a minimum of 300 US dollars into FECs, but tourists
and business people have complained that some traders were reluctant to
accept the certificates or exchanged them at a significantly discounted
rate. However, the 10-12 kyat gap between FECs and the black market value
of US dollars has narrowed to just a couple of kyat. A source said FECs had
become more popular after authorities ruled in
August that all international phone bills must be paid in dollars or FECs.

Meanwhile, Myanmar's economic problems appear to be worsening, with the
usually busy Yangon market of Bogyoke virtually devoid of shoppers.  "We're
mostly sitting down and twiddling our thumbs," said one shop owner in the
market.  "This has never happened before."

Nobody seems to have told the editorial staff over at the New Light of
Myanmar about their woes. Last Monday the state mouthpiece reported that
the pagodas, recreation centres, amusement parks and shopping centres in
Rangon had been "crowded" with devotees and holiday-makers the previous
day, an office holiday.

Company news

NEW PARTNERS TO JOIN PREMIER OIL IN DEVELOPING BURMA STAKE
Based on a Reuters news story:  October 1, 1999

KUALA LUMPUR  -- Two oil companies which have had a major share in
developing Burma's Yetagun gas fields in the Andaman sea have been joined
by a third in a new strategic alliance which will enable the three to
collaborate in other projects in Burma, Indonesia and Pakistan.

Britain's Premier Oil said Thursday that it was in advanced talks with
Malaysia's state oil company, Petronas and a U.S. company, Amerada Hess
Corp to forge the new alliance.

"The proposed transaction with Amerada Hess and Petronas, which is at an
advanced state of discussion, will immediately strengthen our financial
position, allowing us to realize the inherent value in our current
business,'' Premier Oil chief executive Charles Jamieson said.

Under the proposal, Petronas and the U.S. company will subscribe for new
shares equivalent to 25 percent each in the enlarged share capital of
Premier Oil. The Premier Oil deal, which could cost both Petronas and
Amerada 100-115 million US dollars, will allow them access to Premier Oil's
reserves, most of which are located in Burma, Indonesia and Pakistan.

Premier Oil and Petronas have been jointly developing the Yetagun gas
project since 1997.  The collaborative effort which also involves Japan's
Nippon Oil and Thailand's PTTEP with the junta's state oil company, Myanmar
Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE) comprises three exploration blocks and the
construction of a pipeline to deliver gas from the fields to Thailand.

The pipeline is expected to start delivery to Thailand's PTT late this
year. Yetagun is slated to supply 200 million cubic feet (six million cubic
metres) of gas daily to Thailand, but it is still not clear whether the
Thais will be able to use all the gas available from Yetagun and the
neighbouring Yadana field.  It was also not clear how Amerada Hess, will
get around the ban on new investment in Burma imposed by the U.S.
government, if further projects are undertaken by Premier Oil in Burma.

Drug beat

HO MONG TARGETED AS SITE FOR NEW AMPHETAMINE FACTORY
Based on a story in the Bangkok Post:  September 28, 1999 (with additions)

MAE HONG SON -- Border sources in northern Thailand said this week that a
new factory was being set up by elements of the Wa National Army in a
village in Burma's Shan state, opposite Muang district in Mae Hong Son
province.

The source told the Bangkok Post that Col Maha Sang, the WNA leader, and
Maha Ja, his younger brother, who are behind the scheme, were planning to
take advantage of the limited autonomy Rangoon has allowed in Shan state.

Thai authorities have stepped up suppression efforts to curb the inflow of
methamphetamines, largely coming from factories in Shan state run by the
United Wa State Army. An estimated 200 million pills are imported annually
from Burma, according to the authorities.

The border source said the new plant was being built in Mae Or Luang, about
20km south of the Ho Mong and opposite the Ban Rak Thai border crossing. It
was likely to be equipped with machinery to be delivered from Ho Mong and
several other towns in Shan and Kayah states, where small drug factories
can each produce only 250,000-300,000 pills a month.

Maha Sang who now lives in Thailand has previously emphatically rejected
claims that he is involved with his brother in business deals.  Maha Ja,
who has business operations in Ho Mong is reported to have links to high
officials in Burma's military junta.

Action stations

FREE BURMA COALITION TURNS TO 'MUCKRAKING'

WASHINGTON, Sept 27 (FBC) -- The Free Burma Coalition (FBC) is appealing to
the public for information on instances of corruption and abuses of power
by members of the ruling elite in Burma. The information will be stored in
a data bank that the FBC is setting up that will be made available to
journalists, international legal experts, activists and others who apply to
use it.

A statement issued by the FBC said it was seeking information on
embezzlement, bribery, illegal financial transactions, overseas bank
accounts, properties owned both in Burma and abroad by those in positions
of power and influence, spending outside the country by spouses, children
and relatives of those in power and other types of dubious transactions.
Besides electronic data, pictures, videotapes, official documents and
letters are sought.

The monitoring service will cover not only leading members of the ruling
military circle, but their civilian cronies, business partners, members of
international NGOs in Burma and others in positions of influence.  The FBC,
which is asking that the information be as specific and accurate as
possible, has promised 100% confidentiality to those contributing to the
data bank.

Dr Zar Ni of the FB Coalition said the group already knew about lots of
"skeletons hidden in the closet" of the "scoundrels in power" in Rangoon
and offered to pass the info along to all interested.  He said former
embassy officials who had deserted their posts were a particularly rich
source of information.

To contact the data bank email:  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or write to:
Free Burma Coalition, PO Box 19405, Washington, DC 20036; Fax:
202-234-5176