letter to Hon'ble Prime Minister of

Subject: letter to Hon'ble Prime Minister of Thailand

Mr. Chuan Leekpai
Hon'ble Prime Minister
Government of Royal Thailand
C/o
Ambassador
Royal Thai Embassy
Chanakyapuri
New Delhi-110021
Date: October 2, 1999
Dear H.E. Hon'ble Prime Minister
 We are the democracy activists of Burma who have participated in the
1988 nationwide people's uprising demanding for the restoration of
democracy and human rights in the country. We have been living in India
as political refugees since after the Burmese military took over power
by a bloody coup in September 1988.
 A group of Burmese students have seized the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok
on Friday (October 1), demanding the military junta of Burma to release
all political prisoners and to enter into dialogue with the Committee
Representing for People's Parliament (CRPP) in Burma. They themselves
have stated that their action neither intends to hurt any body nor
breaks international and national law.
 We believe that  their action is a result of the frustrated situation
in Burma under the military junta, which still does not hand over power
to the elected Parliamentarians who were elected in the 1990 general
elections. The inability and hesitation of international community,
particularly on the part of the United Nations, to take concrete actions
against the Burmese military regime for its continued illegal rule and
various human rights abuses in the country.
 The action of the Burmese students who have sized the Burmese Embassy
in Bangkok shows that the people of Burma are suffering immensely under
the military junta. The international community, including Thailand,
should actively work for the establishment of a democratic government in
Burma to avoid any bloodshed and violence.
 We earnestly would like to request you to use your office to handle the
Embassy seize incident with patience and we request both the Burmese
students and Thai government not to use force. We believe that using
force or storming the embassy compound can not solve this nature of
politically sensitive incidents but only through peaceful negotiations
can we achieve a solution. We also would like to request the people and
Government of Royal Thailand to urge the military rulers of Burma to
enter into meaningful dialogue with the National League for Democracy
(NLD) let by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for the restoration of democracy and
human rights in Burma.

Sincerely yours,
Burma democracy activists in India