Today Bkk-Post (8)

back<br>
parallel government yesterday appealed to the government not to
repatriate or deport the dissidents who seized hostages and occupied the
Burmese embassy.<br>
&quot;We plead with the Thai government to take action according to Thai
law except repatriating them.. repatriating them is simply letting them
be tortured and killed,&quot; said Sein Win, when contacted in
Washington.<br>
&quot;We hope the Thai government sees the situation in a wider political
context, not just as a question of people occupying the embassy,&quot;
said Dr Sein Win, head of the exiled National Coalition Government of the
Union of Burma.<br>
The storming of the Burmese embassy &quot;happened because the military
[junta in Rangoon] ignored the people's will&quot;, he said.<br>
The dissidents called on the ruling military junta to release political
prisoners, enter into a &quot;meaningful dialogue&quot; with the
pro-democracy opposition, and form a coalition government based on
results of the 1990 election.<br>
&quot;Young people are frustrated.. they have been waiting a long time
for the military [junta] to change the way to democracy. They are quite
angry,&quot; he said.<br>
Dr Sein Win was confident the hostage-taking would not hinder the cause
of the pro-democracy opposition working inside and outside Burma.<br>
He said repression is increasing in Burma with more arrests of
dissidents. He also said human rights violations in the Shan state are
&quot;happening every day on a large scale&quot;.<br>
&quot;The military say one thing and do something else.. we don't know
who is in charge,&quot; he said, referring to remarks made on Sept 24 in
New York by Burmese Foreign Minister Win Aung<br>
U Win Aung told the Asia Society his government was trying to stop the
fighting among warring factions.<br>
He also said the government was transitional, with democracy its goal.
<BR>