Golden Jubilee of Founding PRC

Felicitations to the Legal fraternity on the Occasion of the Golden Jubilee
of Founding of People's Republic of China.

 The Burmese Lawyer's  Community particularly now exile (India) extends
their warm greetings to Lawyer's Community in the People's of China ( PRC).
Established in the year 1949 on 1st October, PRC has grown from isolation to
world power. Formerly, fractured , weak, dis integrated for centuries, to
day she is an acknowledged super power. During this period, She has produced
eminent thinkers, Scientist, Economist, administrators, Lawyers and Social
workers. The years gone by have been comfortable promise fulfilled and the
years to come stretching into next millenium, opportunity todo better.
China's achievements make the Golden Jubilee year 1999, Mile stone worthy of
celebration with pride and joy.
 The legal community of Burma looks back on a half a century of China/s
experience with her constitution and Judicial system. The legal system, the
Legal profession, Law and Act, her parliament have made substantial
Contribution to the creation of  a new state and society. They have enabled
China to maintain a civilian governance notwithstanding attempts by Marshal
Lin Pao to establish Military dictatorship. You have been reforming economic
laws. In International law, you have set a new course. Your experiment in
 One country, two systems? is of great interest to Constitutional law.
Ending long colonial rule in Hongkong and effecting  constitutional
transition for return of Hongkong to the Mainland was indeed a demonstration
of peaceful constitutional change and respect for Rule of Law. Your
restraint and respect for Rule of Law in regard to Taiwan is also exemplary.
 Burma and China are close neighbors bound together in history and culture.
Your fight against the K.M.T rule, Janpanese Fascism and colonial powers was
always a source of inspiration for the freedom fighters in Burma. Indeed she
was one of the first few countries to give  recognition to P.R.C on its very
founding against heavy odds. Although our political systems differed, the
state to state relations have been cordial. When Burma was under nascent
parliamentary democracy the people to people relationship was on the upbeat
notwithstanding  your different political system. This relationship over the
years have reached its nadir due to the military regime which has been
ruling Burma for last 37 years. There is now a wide gap in people to people
inter-action. Misunderstanding has cropped up between academic and
intellectuals  of the two countries on the on-going pro-Democracy movement
in Burma. On your part there is a school of thought that the pro-democracy
movement in Burma is western sponsored. We can assure you that the movement
is entirely indigenous and independent based on the blood of the Student
martyrs. The icy misunderstanding of the real issue-namely ending Rule by
Military Junta and restoration of Civilian governance under Rule of Law has
to be removed not withstanding the virulent disinformation propaganda of the
Military Junta. Burma Lawyer have drafted Federal Constitution for future
Burma, they have held several seminars, Legal training, dialogue with legal
fraternity world over. Differences in legal perception of the legal
fraternities of the our two countries need not sour our entire relationship.
Despite our differences, we express our sincere desire for greater
co-operation in legal fora, greater links between the two fraternities,
better acquaintance  with the process of law of  the respective countries.
 China is playing a  significant global role, you have reached out even to a
small East Timor. Burma is your close neighbor and China can certainly have
her say in the matters of a neighboring  country. The Chinese media, Lawyers
and statesmen must express their views freely on the political crise
overshadowing Burma without extending support to the pro-democracy movement
in t he interest of State to State relationship if that is considered as of
greater importance than people to people relationship.
 In this festivity of Golden Jubilee, don't  forget your next-door neighbor
the people of Burma suffering, living in grim agony, deprivation, fear and
tyranny. This is an appeal to legal fraternity of (PRC) to initiate talks
with legal fraternity of Burma   inside and out side. On this  Golden
Jubilee your important initiative  in linking with Burma Lawyers will be a
landmark in future relations of the two countries. Let us play our
respective roles in preservation and promotion of human dignity and Rule of
Law.

Burma Lawyer's Council
New Delhi, India.

R.Z.E 107, 1st Floor, Chanakya Place Part-1
25, Feet Road Post Uttam Nagar,
New Delhi-110059, India.
Phone/Fax (0091-11)5513529, 5530815,
E-mail:blcindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note* Request  forwarding to concerned Organization.