No Subject Given

Lydia D. Cabasco
NO!WTO Student Outreach Commitee
People For Fair Trade
1914 Fourth Avenue
Seattle, Wa. 98101

Dear Lydia,
                     When Massachusette State Rep. Byron Rushing talked
about Massachusette Burma Law, I was wondering if many of my fellow
cityzens understand well why that law has been introduced. As Byron said,
the law was identical to the then South Africa Apaartheid Law except the
 name. South Africa Apartheid law was introduced to bar companies doing
business with Apartheid Regime from procument of business contract from
the State. Similar local laws from cities and counties through out United
States has been introduced because Apartheid Regime was oppressive and
discreminatory. Never the less compared to South Africa Apartheid Regime,
Burma Military Regime is far more oppressive and cruel.
To promote the standard of public morality, the Massachusette Burma Law
was promulgated and the elected officials chose to spend its public tax
money where it deem appropriate. Never the less
Japan and European Union see the Massachusette Burma Law to be a  threat
to their WTO rules and  business monopoly. So they filed complaint  at
the court, arguing that the State has over stepped into Fedeeral Foreign
Policy. The law was struct down by District Court judge and subsequent
appellant court. that it was unconstitutional. As Massachusette State
officials felt strongly that WTO interfere with the State Sovereignty and
how the State to spend its tax dollor, the State Attorney General
appealed the case in the Suprene Court.
As a native of Burma who take interest in what is going on in my home
land, I have considerable knowlege of the past and present political
developments.I have writen a few articles about  the true situation in
Burma and occationally I tried to analyse the thinking and behavior of
the Burma Military Regime. I would very much appreciate if the general
public can be educated about the over all situation of Burma and how
oppressive the Burma Military Regime is.

Best Regards.

                           (Saw Aung Khin).