6/9/99:LETTER TO HON CHRIS SCHACHT( (r)

Subject: 6/9/99:LETTER TO HON CHRIS SCHACHT(SOUTH AUSTRALIAN)

POSTED SUN 26-SEP-99, 9:00AM

Dear Friends:

In the midst of ASSK criticism on Australia's HR initiatives, and
continuing failure of UN General Assembly to take a proper stand on the
issue of Burma, I have launched a special website in the support of CRPP
in Burma and can now be found at:

http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo/crpplink.html

This site has been created to focus campaign for Australian Government
and Federal Parliamentarians to support the CRPP. Following is letter to
Hon Chris Schacht, a South Australian Senator and a long time supporter
to the Burma democracy movement. Our friends, both in Australia and
overseas, please write to Senator to one or two line of support letters.
The fact is that in South Australia, only 2-and-half Burmese living and,
on our own, we certainly can't impress the Senator with large amount of
letters, etc.

We must also request the United States Congress to recognise CRPP. I
would appreciate anyone in USA can initiate a campaign on this matter (I
could write a letter in support, I suppose).

I am disappointed about the 54th UNGA is  providing a floor to
SPDC/SLORC foreign minister, H.E. U Win Aung. Our request last year to
UNGA for a properly structured  resolution is still outstanding and we
must continue with our request in this year too.

VALUES OF LETTER WRITING/NON-VIOLENT INITIATIVES

For the record, I have been engaging in letter-writing activities since
1992 to various UN/Govt officials. In plain truth, I didn't quite feel
that my letters/proposed actions are being takenup by those officials.
Then, one must ask why I keep on writing to these officials. One
straight answer is that because I am an "Activist"(with CAPITAL A).

There is also continuing question of whether the "non-violent method" on
the military regime in Burma being effective. If effective, how much
would be one individual activists' contribution to it ? It is evident
the military government Burma today is weaker than before. Hence, I
believe the answer lies with the nature of the so-called 'power of
influence' exerted by the movement. No one can evaluate the 'power of
influence' and no one can be certain about the 'power of influence'.
Therefore, we cannot expect the activists to "deliver" results in the
same way the politicians do. In most Gandhian's way, we -Activists- must
resort to our own inner moral strength in continuing struggle.

To my experience, one cannot continue to be an activist if one doesn't
have the 'inner strength'. Firstly, this is simply because the nature of
political work  for activists-- i.e. you have to stand along with the
under dogs-- is psychologically oppressive. Of course, everyone would
like to be on the winning side. But by its nature, the activists usually
have to be on the side of the weak and disadvantaged. Secondly, when we
are in combat with our adversaries, there is obvious disadvantages such
as financial resources, access to information etc. One can certainly
gets intimidated by these facts. Thirdly, the factor of lack of
understanding to activists' work by general public. When we are engaging
in activities, we get range of responses from the public. Some--small
minority-- may express support and appreciation. Some part of public may
be on the side of bashing (i.e. ridiculing) activists and their
activities. To my experience, there is no shortage in the public who
label activists and criticise their work as, "Paper Tigers","Amnesty
Creeps","International Jokes", "Human Rights Mumbo jumbos". Sometimes
you can be advised to "Get real job" etc.

Nevertheless, we have seen some inspiring success in recent years. To
within my personal sphere, the success of International Campaign to Ban
Land mines and, or recent, independence struggle for East Timor give me
much inspiration. It is very good to see some of our Timor Activists
friends (they are not necessarily Timorese people only) shining in
lights with excitements. The Australian Federal Coalition Government
early this year has reversed Australian policy on East Timor. The
Australian Prime Minister nowadays sounds more like human
rights/humanitarian activists and doing a magnificent job on East Timor.
It is 'adrenalin' pumping-ups for all the press, public and military in
Australia. We do need a lot more of those!!

LETTER TO HON CHRIS SCHACHT, LABOR SENATOR FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
ADELAIDE SA 5000

Hon Chris Schacht
Labor Senator for South Australia
59 Main North Road
Medindie Gardens SA 5081
Tel: (+618)8344-8766
Fax: (+618)8344-9355

Dear Senator Schacht:

re: A Senate Motion in Support of Parliamentary Committee in Burma

Since you have been a long-time and most-valued supporter to the
democracy movement in Burma, I should like to make a special request to
you regarding with the Australian Senate to support the Committee
Representing People's Parliament(CRPP) in Burma. In particular, I appeal
you to move a motion in support of CRPP in the Senate. The rationale for
such support to CRPP in Burma by the Australian Federal
Parliament/Senate has been outlined in my previous communications to you
on 7th July and 21st August 1999. It is basically for Australia to
provide a measure of recognition to the CRPP and the Parliament of
Burma.

As you may be aware in South Australian State Parliament, the Hon. Dr
Bob Such early last month has kindly moved a motion calling for Federal
Government to do all it can to bring democracy in Burma. More
encouragingly, Hon Janelle Saffin of NSW State Legislative Assembly has
also moved a motion in May calling for Australian Government to
recognise CRPP as "Legitimate instrument of the will of the Burmese
People" (copies of motions enclosed with this letter). I appeal you to
continue these valuable works at the State level and bringing forward
matters at the level of Federal Parliament and the Senate.

As you know, Senator, Australian support to democracy movement in Burma
is most crucial at this point in time. I would also be grateful if you
could advise me how to get more support on this from the Federal
Parliament. I, along with Burmese community in South Australia, would
also be very happy to meet with you if you like to discuss any further
on this matter. I thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Yours sincerely
(U NE OO)
--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo