BBC - Myanmar's animal in England. (r)

Subject: Re: BBC - Myanmar's animal in England.

For eleven years, Burmese military regime so-called
State Peace and Deployment Council  (SPDC) has been
saying that the regime is trying to provide "FOOD and
SHELTER" for 45 million Burmese citizens in Burma.  In
addition, the regime again said that the Burmese are
not ready for democracy because they do not have
enough foods to eat and enough spaces to live yet.
However, what the democratic forces see is it is an
excuse in order of prolonging their military power.
HOW?

It is not an issue of "FOOD VS. PEOPLE", but it is an
issue of "PEOPLE VS. SECURITY."

Sociologist Abraham H. Maslow discovered five steps of
well being, mentally and physically. The steps are 1)
food and shelter; 2) safety and security; 3)
acceptance; 4) respect; and 5) self-esteem or highest
potential. If we are struggling with our basic needs
such as foods and shelters, it is difficult to rise
the other four steps. After we pass the first step, we
seeking for our safety, rule of law, equal justice,
and protection. After we gain the protection, we will
become capable and skillful people who then are able
to help others in order of building a peaceful, joy,
and stable community, a country, or a world.

In fact, Burmese have already been passed the first
step, and they are struggling for the second step. But
intentionally and maliciously, the Burmese regime is
bringing down the Burmese people from the second step.
As I mention above, it is a good time for the regime
to the people when they are struggling for their basic
needs, especially for foods.

In short, as everyone knows, Burma once became one of
the richest countries in Southeast Asia before Ne Win
was in power. As soon as New Win came to the power, he
put the people of Burma in hardship whereas he could
rule the country without any strong opposition. Again,
the present SPDC regime closed all higher learning
institutes, forced educated people to exile, built
strong military force, jailed all oppositions, and
killed minorities that is the way the regime is making
the people to obey them. It is not the thing Dr. Kyaw
Win and his regime said to educate the Burmese people
about democracy; it is not the thing Dr. Kyaw Win and
his junta said to provide "food and shelter."  But
what the regime trying to do is to put the Burmese
people in poverty, less capable and less skillful
majority.

Nyi Nyi Lwin (The Rangoon Post)

Friday, September 24, 1999 Published at 06:49 GMT
07:49 UK

World: Asia-Pacific

Burma: 'Give democracy time'

Tim Sebastian interviews ambassador Dr Kyaw Win

Burma will not be ready for democracy until its people
understand how to use it, the Burmese
ambassador to the UK has told the BBC.

Speaking on BBC World's HARDtalk, Burma's ambassador
in the UK Dr Kyaw Win said people needed
to be educated and the country stabilised before
multi-party politics could develop.

                    "You think once they are free to
do anything they want, they understand
                    what democracy is all about?" he
said. "Democracy is a very delicate
                    flower, it doesn't grow easily
anywhere and is not easily transplantable." he
                    said.

                    Dr Win was on the programme to
defend his country's human rights record.
                    Burma, or Myanmar - the name
chosen by the military regime -, has come
                    into the spotlight this month with
the imprisonment of two young British
                    protestors who publicly declared
support for the country's democracy
                    movement.

                    A Foreign Office report in London
has accused the government in Rangoon
                    of presiding over a system of
summary executions, torture, rape and
                    detention without trial.

But Dr Win dismissed this report and a United Nations
report that has also condemned Burma's human
rights record, as a simple cultural difference between
east and west. He accused "certain
western-based organisations" of having vested
interests.

"The UN is controlled by a few countries that are more
powerful than the rest," he said. "There is a
geographical divide in the understanding of this
problem.

Jailed Britons

Earlier this month Rachel Goldwyn, 28, was jailed for
seven years for chaining herself to a lamppost in
Rangoon and singing pro-democracy songs, while
26-year-old James Mawdsley was jailed for 17 years
for distributing anti-government leaflets.

Dr Win described Mr Mawdsley as "a chronic, recurrent
violator". In the case of Rachel Goldwyn he
said there was every chance she could be released
after an appeals process, but he stood by Burma's
legal system.

"It wasn't singing," he told HARDtalk's Tim Sebastian.
"She came in, she shackled herself to a fence
and this was part of a big scenario they were trying
to create on 9-9-99. Everybody knows.

"The laws are laws. In the face of laws the opinions
of individuals do not count. It is the laws that
count."

"This girl is going to get a proper appeals process
and her parents will be going there and making
appeals with the lawyers. It's is a judicial process,
this is not a political process. You people are
politicising it."

"They were not just there to hand out leaflets and
sing songs. They wanted to cause this particular
uprising and they wanted to lend their support to it."

The government that Dr Win represents came to power in
1988 as a transitional government before
democracy was to be set up.

In 1990 elections, Burma's main opposition party, the
National League for Democracy, won 82% of the
vote. But the country's military leaders ignored the
results and the NLD leader Aung Sun Suu Kyi spent
almost six years under house arrest.

But Dr Win said basic rights to food had to come
before democracy could be put in place

"We in developing countries, first of all have to have
the basic rights to sufficiency of food, shelter and
other basic needs as a priority, he said.

"Political rights will come when the time is right."