Statement of NDF

Statements from The National Democratic Front
Regarding East Timor's uprising and Transition to independence

1.  On August 30th 1999, 78.79 % of East Timorese expressed their desire
for independence through a
      peaceful and democratic referendum.  For two decades great men had
sacrificed their lives and on this
      honorable day the East Timorese could finally celebrate their
Independence.

2.  For five decades, The National Democratic front along with other
organizations have been struggling for
     democracy in Burma just as the East Timorese have been struggling for
Self-determination from Indonesia.  We
     are empathetic toward what the East Timorese have endured and we
strongly support and recognize the
     legitimacy of the August 30th 1999 referndum results.

3.   We urge to Security Council and United  Nation to send in the
multi-nation peace keeping forces to East Timor. Issue that need to be
implemented by the multi-national peace keeping forces are;

       -  The protection for the U.N.A.M.E.T. which is responsible for the
security of the United Nations
           representatives.

       -  To disarm Indonesia military support  militia  forces.

       -  To implement legal action/prosecution for human rights abuses to
the offending officers in the
           Indonesian government..

4.  The N.D.F. strongly recommends that the forced relocation of East
timorese to West Timor be
      terminated.  We also suggest the option to return to East Timor be
given to the more than 100,000
      relocated people.

5.  We anticipate a positive response from the Indonesian People
Consultative Assembly this coming November, to ratify East Timor's
independence referendum We support the withdrawal of all Indonesian
military forces during the transitional period and ask the Parliament to
delegate a peaceful transformation.

6.  We Urge the Chair of A.S.E.A.N. and the government of Thailand to take
an active role in the transition
     for independence in East Timor.

7.  The N.D.F. along with our associated organization acknowledge and
support the independence for the people of East Timor.  We advise the
international community and all N.G.Os to help the East Timorese with
humanitarian assistance.

September 16, 1999.