Aung San Suu Kyi urges greater use

Subject: Aung San Suu Kyi urges greater use of sanctions on Myanmar

Myanmar <br>
Kyi has called for greater use of economic sanctions against the
government, after the military rulers quashed threats of a dissident
uprising. <br>
Exiled dissidents had called for a nationwide uprising on September 9
aimed at ending decades of military rule. <br>
But although small-scale demonstrations occured in several areas, they
admitted a tight security net limited protest action. <br>
Diplomats in Yangon said the day passed quitely. <br>
In a video address smuggled out of Myanmar, Aung San Kyi said September 9
was not a crucial day for the country's democracy movement. <br>
&quot;I myself am not aware why September 9 should be a special day for
democracy,&quot; the Nobel Peace laureate said in a copy of her speech
received here by AFP on Saturday. <br>
&quot;For us, every day is special day for democracy,&quot; she said
&quot;but if the whole world were rally around us ... We shall get there
much faster.&quot; <br>
Dissident groups had called for a mass uprising on September 9 -- or
`four nines day' - to mirror protests on August 8, 1988 (8/8/88), when
hundreds of protesters wree gunned down by the military. (AFP)<br>
<BR>