Cannon-fodder on the alter of tyran

Subject: Cannon-fodder on the alter of tyranny

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BEFC55.986F4000

SSARMY NEWS - 7 September 1999

EDITORIAL & OPINION

Cannon-fodder on the alter of tyranny

These days, the brave Burmese soldiers lost their lives in combat, and =
some have become invalid. It is a pity, because they were sacrificing =
their lives neither for the sake of their country nor for their own =
benefits, but for the hated Military Regime enabling it to cling on to =
power. Each and every family wants their sons,  husbands and fathers, to =
return home  from the frontline, safe and sound . But this has not been =
the case, as were evident by the staggering casualities and wounded the =
Burma Army has to endure. We understand and share their grievances, just =
like the same as we do for the people of Shan States.

In the opinion of SSA, we do not want these blood-letting to take place, =
but we are forced to defend and protect the survival of our people and =
struggle to restore our birthright freedom.  We do not want to solve =
these problems in such a violent way and  have been trying to overcome =
them through peaceful means. Accordingly, we had proposed four times  to =
the SPDC's leadership (Senior General Than Shwe, General Khin Nyunt, =
General Maung Aye) to resolve the conflict  peacefully but were =
rejected. On top of that, the SPDC continues to tread the path of ethnic =
cleansing by heightening the process. Given such circumstances, the SSA =
has no other choice, but to protect itself against the Burmese =
onslaught. In these encounters and open conflicts many Burmese peasants' =
sons had sacrificed and laid down their ives for absolutely nothing.

During the last four years, 1,500 sons of the Burmese people lost their =
lives in Shan States alone, while another 2,000 were made disabled. This =
figure does not include casualties on the other fronts. The Shan People =
and the SSA deeply regret that these unwanted, thoughtless and =
undesirable tragedies had to take place.

In the past the Shan States and Burma used to be both independent and =
had been good neighbours, but colonization of the British (Burma in =
1885, Shan States 1887) changed the then existing relationship. By 1948, =
believing that the Burmese were trust worthy, fair and equal, the Shan =
and other non-Burman ethnic nationalities joined hands with the Burmans =
to strive for independence, but later found themselves enslaved by =
successive Burman dominated governments, including the present Burmese =
military regime. The disintegration of peace and unity made way for the =
atmosphere of lawlessness and the killings and gross human rights =
violations unfold in a massive scale unknown to most of us, continuing =
to these very days.

The SSA wish to stress that engaging and sacrificing precious lives to =
prop up the power obsessed military junta would be a waste and thankless =
job. As such, everyone involved should be encouraged to refrain from =
taking part in all such crimes against humanity and refuse to become =
victims on the altar of  tyranny.

Since 1962, the Burmese military has been terrorizing the whole =
population and commiting all kinds of atrocities and human rights =
abuses. In Shan States alone, the trail of SPCD's destruction has =
contributed to about 20,000 death and 15,000 devastated villages, not to =
mention the financial cost and waste inflicted by the Burmese occupation =
armies which the Shan populace has to endure. Apart from that, Shan =
historical evidences, ancient relics such as pagodas, monasteries with =
their old written scriptures, other cultural relics, traditional way of =
life and everything the Burmese army could lay its hand on were =
destroyed. It is, ineffect, the implementation of "cultural genocide" in =
every sense of the words.

The unimaginable handiwork of the Burmese military in the name of =
"national unity"was the abolishment of the Constitution of the Union of =
Burma, in 1962. In so doing, it has become an agressor nation instead of =
a partner, paving way for the disintegration of the union. The so-called =
Union of Burma is now a defunct one in a legal-constitutional point of =
view. And the Burma army is nothing more than an army of occupation, =
stationed to oppress all the non-Burmans nationalities struggling for =
self-determination.

The stubborness of the SPDC to hold on to power at all cost has =
deteriorated all aspects of political, social, cultural and financial =
lives which are still in process. And so long as the Burmese military is =
bent on solving the existing problems and political grievances of the =
Burmans and non-Burmans alike by forceful military means, the sacrifice =
of the innocent victims will continue for unforseeable future.

Sai Lern Seng
Namkham

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BEFC55.986F4000

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SSARMY NEWS - 7 =
September=20
1999<BR><BR>EDITORIAL &amp; OPINION<BR><BR>Cannon-fodder on the alter of =

tyranny<BR><BR>These days, the brave Burmese soldiers lost their lives =
in=20
combat, and some have become invalid. It is a pity, because they were=20
sacrificing their lives neither for the sake of their country nor for =
their own=20
benefits, but for the hated Military Regime enabling it to cling on to =
power.=20
Each and every family wants their sons,&nbsp; husbands and fathers, to =
return=20
home&nbsp; from the frontline, safe and sound . But this has not been =
the case,=20
as were evident by the staggering casualities and wounded the Burma Army =
has to=20
endure. We understand and share their grievances, just like the same as =
we do=20
for the people of Shan States.<BR><BR>In the opinion of SSA, we do not =
want=20
these blood-letting to take place, but we are forced to defend and =
protect the=20
survival of our people and struggle to restore our birthright =
freedom.&nbsp; We=20
do not want to solve these problems in such a violent way and&nbsp; have =
been=20
trying to overcome them through peaceful means. Accordingly, we had =
proposed=20
four times&nbsp; to the SPDC's leadership (Senior General Than Shwe, =
General=20
Khin Nyunt, General Maung Aye) to resolve the conflict&nbsp; peacefully =
but were=20
rejected. On top of that, the SPDC continues to tread the path of ethnic =

cleansing by heightening the process. Given such circumstances, the SSA =
has no=20
other choice, but to protect itself against the Burmese onslaught. In =
these=20
encounters and open conflicts many Burmese peasants' sons had sacrificed =
and=20
laid down their ives for absolutely nothing.<BR><BR>During the last four =
years,=20
1,500 sons of the Burmese people lost their lives in Shan States alone, =
while=20
another 2,000 were made disabled. This figure does not include =
casualties on the=20
other fronts. The Shan People and the SSA deeply regret that these =
unwanted,=20
thoughtless and undesirable tragedies had to take place.<BR><BR>In the =
past the=20
Shan States and Burma used to be both independent and had been good =
neighbours,=20
but colonization of the British (Burma in 1885, Shan States 1887) =
changed the=20
then existing relationship. By 1948, believing that the Burmese were =
trust=20
worthy, fair and equal, the Shan and other non-Burman ethnic =
nationalities=20
joined hands with the Burmans to strive for independence, but later =
found=20
themselves enslaved by successive Burman dominated governments, =
including the=20
present Burmese military regime. The disintegration of peace and unity =
made way=20
for the atmosphere of lawlessness and the killings and gross human =
rights=20
violations unfold in a massive scale unknown to most of us, continuing =
to these=20
very days.<BR><BR>The SSA wish to stress that engaging and sacrificing =
precious=20
lives to prop up the power obsessed military junta would be a waste and=20
thankless job. As such, everyone involved should be encouraged to =
refrain from=20
taking part in all such crimes against humanity and refuse to become =
victims on=20
the altar of&nbsp; tyranny.<BR><BR>Since 1962, the Burmese military has =
been=20
terrorizing the whole population and commiting all kinds of atrocities =
and human=20
rights abuses. In Shan States alone, the trail of SPCD's destruction has =

contributed to about 20,000 death and 15,000 devastated villages, not to =
mention=20
the financial cost and waste inflicted by the Burmese occupation armies =
which=20
the Shan populace has to endure. Apart from that, Shan historical =
evidences,=20
ancient relics such as pagodas, monasteries with their old written =
scriptures,=20
other cultural relics, traditional way of life and everything the =
Burmese army=20
could lay its hand on were destroyed. It is, ineffect, the =
implementation of=20
"cultural genocide" in every sense of the words.<BR><BR>The unimaginable =

handiwork of the Burmese military in the name of "national unity"was the =

abolishment of the Constitution of the Union of Burma, in 1962. In so =
doing, it=20
has become an agressor nation instead of a partner, paving way for the=20
disintegration of the union. The so-called Union of Burma is now a =
defunct one=20
in a legal-constitutional point of view. And the Burma army is nothing =
more than=20
an army of occupation, stationed to oppress all the non-Burmans =
nationalities=20
struggling for self-determination.<BR><BR>The stubborness of the SPDC to =
hold on=20
to power at all cost has deteriorated all aspects of political, social, =
cultural=20
and financial lives which are still in process. And so long as the =
Burmese=20
military is bent on solving the existing problems and political =
grievances of=20
the Burmans and non-Burmans alike by forceful military means, the =
sacrifice of=20
the innocent victims will continue for unforseeable future.<BR><BR>Sai =
Lern=20
*****************<BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BEFC55.986F4000--