U Kyaw Kyaw Win's letter to the Edi

Subject: U Kyaw Kyaw Win's letter to the Editor of The Observer

U Kyaw Kyaw Win's letter to the Editor of The Observer

                          KYAW KYAW WIN
                          36 Sisters Ave
                          London SW11 5SQ
                          Tel/Fax; 0171 223 8987
                          E-mail:akokyaw @ myanmars.net

                          5th September 1999

The Editor
The Observer
Fax No: 0171 713 4286
             Dear Sir,

             I find Ben Skelton's article ("As I'm tortured I think: What if I don't get out". page 12, 5 September 1999)  on James Mawdsley to be as sycophantic as it is  hypocritical.  Moreover is it not thoroughly irresponsible for a newspaper as reputable as yours to condone sedition and to seek to heroize someone who is nothing more than a foolish and naive mercenary?

             Lastly, would your reporter, I wonder, have been so fulsome in his glorification of James Mawdsley had he been arrested under similar circumstances in, say,  Saudi Arabia or China,  where the UK has vast  business interests, as opposed to Burma (Myanmar) where British  investment is negligible? I suppose  this is what The Observer would  refer  to as its own selective ethical foreign policy.

             Yours sincerely

             sd./

             Kyaw Kyaw Win (Mr)
             Burmese Author & Historian