Fwd-Statement of the 9999 Burma Dem

Subject: Fwd-Statement of the 9999 Burma Democracy Movement Action Group of

Former Students
To: <burmanet2-l@xxxxxxxx>

Statement of the 9999 Burma Democracy Movement Action Group of Former
Students,
Minnesota,
The United States of America .
Date: 1 September 1999

Days surrounding the 8888 (August 8, 1988) nation-wide uprisings are
historical dates for freedom and democracy in Burma. The movement, started
by students, was later joined by people from all walks of life: monks,
housewives, military, police, civil servants, doctors, lawyers, engineers
and so on. Since 1987 more and more Burmese have sacrificed their freedom
and lives for democracy.  Eleven years has elapsed since then.

We shall not allow the military dictating us into the next century.  Burma's
junta has not respected the results of the 1990 general elections and is
still trying to cling to power ill gotten from a military coup.
This point shows that we are now at a very critical stage. We have to
over-throw and end dictatorship and militarism in Burma once and for all.

We urge the junta to: -
(1) immediately hand over power to the Committee Representing People's
Parliament  (CRPP). CRPP represents the parliament of lawmakers elected in
the 1990 general elections.
(2) hasten meaningful negotiations with the National League for Democracy
and respective parties and the ethnic groups.
(3) release student leader Min Ko Naing and all political prisoners
immediately and unconditionally.
(4) cease ethnic cleansing immediately.
(5) stop rape, torture and extra-judicial executions immediately.
(6) solve political issues through political means and not through arms.
(7) stop false and indecent accusations against the elected and respected
NLD and its leaders including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

We request world nations to: -
(1) recognize the Committee Representing People's Parliament.
(2) hold economic and arms embargo and sanctions against the military
dictatorship. This action     will tremendously help abolish the tyranny of
the military dictatorship.

We ask the Burmese people, especially expatriates, to :-
(1) take part in some way in the 9999 struggle for democracy whether as a
group or as individuals.
(2) assist and support the CRPP and the NLD to materialize the Peoples
Parliament made-up elected
members of parliament of 1990 elections.
(3) urge all action groups for Democracy in Burma to do all they can to
bring about such a tripartite.
(4) to strive, with the spirit of 8888 and 9999, for the materialization of
the full session of the peoples' parliament made up of elected members of
parliament of the 1990 general elections
Our Pledge
(1) We join to act and support the 9999 Burma Democracy Activists within and
without Burma.
(2) We shall support the National League for Democracy in every way we can.
(3) We recognize and support the Committee Representing the People's
Parliament.
(4) We join hands in this righteous People's Power Movement and will make it
a final protest   culminating in a resounding victory for democracy in Burma
and the world.

Nation-wide civil disobedience, like that of  the 8888 uprisings, will be
repeated. Perhaps on 9 September 1999 to stop military dictatorship in
Burma.

Peoples' Power actions for restoration of democracy in Burma are going on in
many countries around the world including Thailand, Japan, India, Australia,
Canada, USA, Norway, Netherlands, Fiji, South Africa, Britain (UK), Germany,
France, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, New Zealand, etc.
The pressure is biting Myanmar's military.

 Let us all work together under the banner of the 9999 action and fight  for
CRPP.
 The government of the people's choice led by the NLD shall come out
victorious in the end.  The righteous party has been chosen and the
righteous party shall rule.

We cordially invite all to join and support the peoples of Burma, who are
still suffering in every way imaginable at the hands of  the brutal and
corrupted military regime.

Signed,  Maung Aung  (NI 4980), Htun Htun (NI4535), and Asuan (NI 8607)
Co-ordinators,
Date: 1 September 1999