AFP- Myanmar animal accuses Suu Kyi

Subject: AFP- Myanmar animal accuses Suu Kyi of "mental atrophy"

Myanmar junta accuses Suu Kyi of "mental atrophy"
YANGON, Aug 30 (AFP) - Myanmar's junta on Monday launched a stinging
personal attack on opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, accusing her of
"mental atrophy" and lending support to dissidents calling for a popular
uprising to topple military rule next month.
In a statement, the military said the National League for Democracy (NLD)
leader was acting "recklessly," and that any attempt at an uprising would
fail and be "the swansong of disaffected individuals."

"While there is no reason to doubt her protestation that the party did not
mastermind the four nines campaign she cannot be absolved of responsibility
as the involvement of a number of township level NLD leaders ... has been
uncovered," it said.

"She has become more intransigent than ever (and) runs the National League
for Democracy like her own private organisation."

Aung San Suu Kyi has accused the junta of using a clampdown on plans for an
uprising on September 9 -- or 9/9/99 -- as a pretext to tighten its grip
over the country.

The call for unrest has become known as the "four nines movement."

While declining to voice direct support, Aung San Suu Kyi refused in an
interview last week with AFP to disown dissidents campaigning for a mass
uprising.

"This is not a campaign that we started but our policy has always been very
clear on such things -- we will never disown any of our allies who have
fought for democracy," she said.

"I think they (the authorities) are using it as an excuse for cracking down.

"The authorities should not try to find victims for what will arise out of
their shortcomings."

The Nobel peace laureate would not say whether she expected the mass
uprising to go ahead, but warned the people's desire for democracy could not
be suppressed forever.

"What we are sure of is that the people are generally discontent and it
would not surprise me if there is discontent in some form or other, but when
it will come out we cannot predict," she said.

August 8 this year marked the 11th anniversary of an uprising in which
hundreds of pro-democracy demonstrators were gunned down by the army and a
junta took power from strongman General Ne Win.

That anniversary passed peacefully, but dissident groups have said Myanmar's
people have an "appointment" with September 9 to repeat the events of 1988
and end the military's 37-year domination of politics.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been locked in a bitter political struggle with
Myanmar's military rulers since she led the NLD to an overwhelming victory
in 1990 elections.

The junta ignored the results and embarked on a campaign of intimidation and
arrest of NLD members and supporters.

The junta said recently that it had arrested 37 people, including NLD
members, in connection with the planned September unrest. Exiled dissidents
claim the figure is close to 150 people.