ANOTHER BURMESE EXPERIENCE

MAILBAG: ANOTHER BURMESE EXPERIENCE

26th august 1999

Dear Julien,
                     I just came back from Burma. I interviewed several
people there, most of which are the working people.I'd like to remain
anonymous and I think you can disseminate my collected data to the policy
makers with whom  you're working  in the United States. Please do distribute
the infromation via other channels. Feel free to edit it too.

I went to Rangoon, Burma  2 months ago. I had a chance to see Rangoon
through and through. I saw many business sign posts on the streets of
Rangoon. A friend of mine works for Sedona hotel and he said there is rarely
a visitor showing up there. Tourism in Burma is down,down and down. It
happens not only to Sedona but to each and every hotel in Rangoon. But at
about 3 am I heard noises and I got up. What I saw was stunning and
shocking.......

Teenage girls who are working as call girls showed up with customers who are
around 45 years old. The hotel receptionist told me one of the guys who
brought in a 13 yr-old prostitute is a captain from the Burmese army who
frequents the hotel on a weekly basis. The boys working at the hotel became
friends to me and showed me the captain having sex with the teenage girl
through a hole on the door. It was disgusting and I prayed that the same
scenario isn't happening all over Burma. HIV is spreading ubiquitously and
the government is doing nothing.That's all I want to share right now,
Julien.Please keep my email anonymous.Thank you.You keep up the good work too.

Later.

John [deleted]