Copy of Coerced NLD Resignation Let

Subject: Copy of Coerced NLD Resignation Letter

A Copy of the Coerced NLD Resignation Letter

   Over the past one to two years, the SPDC has tried to undermine the
National League for Democracy (NLD) party
   which won the 1990 elections in many ways, and one of the most
prominent has been by forcing or coercing NLD
   members to resign from the party by threatening their jobs, their
livelihoods and their families. KHRG obtained the
   letter below from xxxx District in central Karen State. It is a form
letter produced by the SPDC which NLD members
   are forced or coerced to sign, requesting NLD Headquarters in Rangoon
(Yangon) to accept their resignation for
   reasons of "food, clothing, shelter and the state of my health".
Similar letters have been used throughout Burma.

                                                      Order #8*

   To:     Chairperson
             National League for Democracy Headquarters
             Yangon

Date: xx-3-99

   Subject: Asking to resign from membership

   Regarding the above-mentioned subject, at xxxx Township ( ) Ward xxxx
village , son/daughter of U xxxx , National
   Identification Card number xxxx, held by U / Daw U xxxx , for my
food, clothing, shelter and the state of my health, I
   have no wish to do political activities anymore. Therefore I request
and inform you to allow my retirement.

Signed   [Sd.]

Name   U xxxx

National Identification Card #   xxxx

Address   xxxx village
   Copies to:
                       Chairperson, Township Commissioner Office, xxxx
town

   [This is a form letter which NLD members in the region are coerced or
forced to sign to resign from the party. The
   entire letter has been pre-typed and copied; only the blanks
(underlined in the above translation) are left for the
   NLD member to fill in. "Son/Daughter" and "U/Daw" (Mr./Mrs.) are
printed in this form and the member crosses
   out whichever does not apply to him/her. On this letter the NLD
member crossed out "Ward" because he is from a
   village and not a town ward. Other than that, he only filled in the
underlined blanks and his NIC card number as
   shown; the rest was already on the form. Items shown as crossed out
appear as they are in the original.]