NEWS Thailand-Myanmar-protest : Ban

Subject: NEWS Thailand-Myanmar-protest : Bangkok protest calls for release

of Myanmar trade unionists
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thailand-Myanmar-protest
   Bangkok protest calls for release of Myanmar trade unionists
   ==

   BANGKOK, Aug 23 (AFP) - Protesters rallied outside the Myanmar
embassy here
Monday demanding the junta release two unionists allegedly arrested and
tortured by authorities.
   About 20 members of the International Transport Workers Federation
(ITF),
whose flag ship Global Master arrived at Bangkok's main port in Klong
Toey on
Friday, attended the rally.
   "We demand the immediate release of our brothers U (eds: honorific)
Khin
Kyaw, of the Seafarers' Union of Burma and brother U Myo Aung Thant of
the All
Burma Petro-Chemical Corporation Union," Ulrich Juergens, captain of the
Global Master, said in a speech addressed to the Myanmar ambassador.
   "We also demand that you free other trade unionists and democratic
movement
members from their prisons."
   Juergens said both men had been active in wage protests and that Khin
Kyaw
had been detained without sentence for more than two years, while Myo
Aung
Thant was sentenced to life in prison for treason.
   "There is every reason to believe that these men have been tortured
and
ill-treated ... and the torture of detainees seems to be standard
practice in
Burma (Myanmar)," he said.
   The ITF said in a statement it had some five million members around
the
world.
   Myanmar's ruling military has been repeatedly criticised by the
international community for alleged human rights violations including
slave
labour, torture and the detention of democracy activists.
   de/smc