Poem by Zaw Gyi; unofficial English

Subject: Poem by Zaw Gyi; unofficial English translation

Our Country - Our Homeland

Get up, Burmese people

in our villages, our country, our homeland
there are many sacred places
there is a lot of rice
but still people are poor
and their poverty is getting worse all the time
they must go hungry and have nothing left to make merit to Buddha.

Get up, Burmese people

in our village, our country, our homeland
there are many rivers
there is plenty of water to quench our thirst and to water the fields
but still people are poor
and their poverty is getting worse all the time
the poor can see all but can afford nothing.

Get up Burmese people

please be strong
let us fight together with all the strength of our body and our spirit
who does this village, this country, this homeland belong to?

Get up and let us face this challenge together.

Poem by Zaw Gyi
unofficial translation from Burmese by the Burma Büro