Statement delivered by CHRO at UN S

Subject: Statement delivered by CHRO at UN Sub-Commission on Human Rights

International Peace Bureau
Commission on Human Rights
Sub-Commission on prevention of Discrimination and protection of Minorities
50th session: 3-28 August 1999
Agenda item 8
Geneva.

Statement delivered by Cung Bik  Ling of Chin Human Rights Organization.

Mr. Chairperson,

Thank you for giving me the floor.

I represent the Chin Human Rights Organization and consider it a great
opportunity to inform you briefly about the disastrous situation that my
peoples have been subjected to in Burma over the past 50 years.

Noble Peace Prize laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said - and I cite her -
"Life without peace is akin to a meaningless existence. Burma, under
military rule, is like a battlefield where rights are being violated
persistently. The Question of human rights could not be avoided when there
is talk of peace. Woe is forever to the people of Burma as there is no
equality and justice in the country."

As we have seen and experienced throughout the modern history of Burma,
aggressive attempts by successive Burman dominated governments and military
regimes to unite the country by forcibly assimilating ethnic indigenous
nationalities into a melting pot of Burman culture have resulted in a
painful half century of civil war.

The regions in which the indigenous minorities have lived since time
immemorial, has become a free shooting zone and a free killing zone for the
Burmese army. So, at present,  for the indigenous peoples of Burma, it is
not even a question of developing human rights but rather a question of the
right to life. Because the most basic of all human rights, the right to
live, has been totally revoked by the notorious Burmese Army.

Mr. Chairperson

Ethnic cleansing is carried out in the areas where ethnic indigenous peoples
live; innocent people are imprisoned without justification; there is
torture, forced relocation, forced labor and portering for the army. This
occurs regardless of the individuals? age or sex; and abuse of woman as well
as young girls is rampant..

Even such normally positive actions like building new primary schools,
clinics,  hospitals or roads are carried out using forced labor and at the
personal cost of villagers and peasants. Within this framework, we, the
indigenous peoples of Burma are the worst victims of the military regime and
of their instrument, the Burmese army.

So, in conclusion, I would like to request that the international community
do everything possible to bring an end to this genocidal war of the military
regime on the ethnic indigenous peoples in Burma. We need speedy action;
because, if not, in a few short years, all that will remain to be seen of
our indigenous peoples? cultural identities will be relegated to museums.

Thank you, Mr, Chairperson.