16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.D (r)

Subject: Re: 16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.DESMOND BALL

--------------1D4904F1158C36C62B228376

Dear Friends,

it is not the first time, Prof. Ball accuses the senior members of the
SPDC on drug dealing. In his Book "Burma's Military Secrets" he wrote
about XX-1 or Khin Nyunt:

p 77, middle paragraph:
"Khin Nyunt is also involved in the opium business. Some of the
agreements with the ethnic groups reportedly allow them to produce opium
in the areas under their control. The Thai Narcotics Control Board has
reported that Khin Nyunt has made arrangements with certain opium
warlords to smuggle heroin into Thailand 'without interception'; and he
has provided protection to others, such as Khun Sa, who are wanted on
heroin trafficking charges abroad."

He can give even on this paragraph sources of information, printed at
the end of the chapter.

But realy, how can they personally maintain such a good life? In the
Book "The Lady" by Barbara Victor, a general said himself, he earns only
50 Dollars per month. And I believe him. This is his real sellary from
the nation cash box, but the drugs are much more lucrative. Even with
their iron grip on the burmese economy, I cannot believe to maintain
this kind of life without drug money.

Regards
Heiko

--
+================== Burma Group Tuebingen ==================+
| Heiko Schaefer                  | heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     |

begin:vcard
n:Schäfer;Heiko
tel;work:++49 (70 71) 55 25 54
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.burmagroup.de/
org:Burma Group Tübingen
adr:;;Beim Herbstenhof 42;Tübingen;;72076;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Chairman
x-mozilla-cpt:;19680