NEWS - Remembering the martyrs of

Subject: NEWS -  Remembering the martyrs of 8888

Remembering the martyrs of 8888

      Eleven years after the Aug 8, 1988, uprising in Burma,
      Moe Aye discusses what the democracy movement has
      achieved and where it has failed.

      Last year on June 24, rumours were afoot in Rangoon that
      the ghost of a person killed during the 1988
      pro-democracy uprising was terrorising an apartment
      block. It was here that student protesters were gunned
      down by the riot police.

      The rumours had led many people to brave heavy rain to
      gather outside the apartment block in the hope of getting
      news about their relatives who had died during the
      uprising.

      It is now 11 years since the popular uprising. Although it
      resulted in the downfall of the then ruling party, those
      responsible for the shooting of innocent people remain
      untouchable. They enjoy comfortable lives, protected by
      the ruling military regime.

      Worse, Gen Tin Hla, who led and commanded the
      notorious military division No 22 that systematically
      mowed down protesters, has become the minister
      responsible for the military. Dictator Ne Win, who vowed
      that the army would not shoot over the demonstrators'
      heads, and Sein Lwin, who was known as the ''Butcher of
      Rangoon'', can still be seen playing golf or travel abroad
      for medical treatment.

      Many people were killed during the uprising, and many
      disappeared. The military regime claims, however, that
      only 15 people died. While people around the world called
      the 1988 incident a ''nationwide popular uprising'', the
      regime refers to it as ''nationwide anarchy'' created by
      communists and neo-colonialists.

      Moe Thee Zun, a former prominent student who led the
      8888 uprising, said: ''No only did the military junta refuse
      to accept the May 1990 election result, it is reluctant to
      even recognise the popular uprising. There are many
      families whose loved ones were killed, and they do not
      even know where they are buried.''

      A women whose son was killed at midnight on that fateful
      day, said: ''I always wonder whether the soul of my son is
      still on the streets, and I always pray that he may some day
      reach heaven. Although they [the military] can forget about
      it, I will never forget my son. Every Aug 8, I walk along the
      street in front of the City Hall where my son was killed. The
      worst thing is that although I know my son was killed there,
      I never saw his body.''

      There are many parents with similar stories.

      But had the 8888 movement completely destroyed the
      system during the uprising -- as happened in Romania --
      or had the military joined the demonstrators -- as in the
      Philippines -- it would have fulfilled the people's desire. So
      far it is only a distant dream.

      The uprising did not establish a democratic country, which
      was one of its prime objectives. However, it did pave the
      way for the people of Burma to connect with the outside
      world. The uprising also led to the May 1990 multi-party
      elections and to the emergence of the first Burmese Nobel
      peace laureate. But in achieving these, many people had
      paid with their lives. Many are still in the jungles, and have
      died there. Many political prisoners are still in prison, and
      some, too, have died there.

      The question remains as to why Burma cannot achieve
      even a semi-democracy after these 11 years. Is it
      because the military regime is too clever at cheating the
      world and in oppressing its people? Or the lack of unity of
      the opposition? Perhaps the lack of international support
      or Asean's constructive engagement policy? Maybe it is
      the strong support for the regime by Japan and China, or
      that of Unocal and Total?

      The answer may be all of the above. One exiled student,
      who refused to be named said: ''Someone may argue that
      11 years is too short a time to change the political system.
      But during these 11 years, many changes have happened
      around the world.''

      He may be right that there have been many changes
      around the world, but the feelings of those whose loved
      ones were killed in the 8888 uprising will never change.
      They are still suffering.

      Moe Aye is a journalist with the Democratic Voice of
      Burma radio station.