STATEMENT ON 11th ANNIVERSARY OF 8/

Subject: STATEMENT ON 11th ANNIVERSARY OF 8/8/88

We wish to give  pause today to remember and honor those brave souls who,
eleven years ago, gave their lives in the struggle for democracy and human
rights in Burma. The sacrifices  that were made by those people will ever
remain in the history of Burma. We pay homage to the shinning example of
their bravery and we know that the light for freedom in Burma will continue
until all of  Burma  is out from under the tyranny and oppression of the
ruling junta.

We take this day, August 8th, to renew our commitment in the struggle for
democracy and human rights in Burma. On this day in 1988, several thousands
of innocent people were brutally slaughtered by the ruling military junta.

We call on all Burmese people to unite firmly and fight against the ruling
military dictatorship for the liberation of Burma only when all Burmese can
enjoy democracy and human rights.  It is only by our coming together that
we can finally and truely be free of oppression. The light of the spirit of
struggle is stronger than ever today. The  friends, families and fellow
citizens of the martyred  will uphold the movement toward the democracy and
human         rights.

We also ask  the international community to join in this important struggle
for freedom, democracy and human rights. We cannot allow the lives of those
lost on that  fateful day of  8/8/88 to be for-naught.  Their purpose must
be our purpose until the goal is achieved.  Democracy is the only solution
in deed, and the cure for the cancerous  regime that now plagues and
cripples the good people of Burma.
We, therefore, call on all Burmese peoples to exert united efforts  for
democracy and human rights in Burma and  it is also the only   way to show
respect for those who have sacrificed  their lives for the country and
people against the dictatorship.
Central Commeettee,
Muslim Liberation Organization of Burma Burma(MLOB).
August, 8, 1999.