5/8/99:PARLIAMENT MOTION ON BURMA I

6-AUG-99: 6:00AM

A motion in support of democracy movement in Burma has been introduced
in the State Parliament of South Australia yesterday by HOn. Bob Such
(State Laberal). The SA Parliamentarians will urge their federal
counterparts to do whatever it can to help bring democracy in Burma.
I've been told that porposal to introduce entire text of motion as
British Colombia Legislative Assembly is rather lengthy, in term of
House of Assembly (also called lower house).

There is also a plan by Hon. Ian Gillifilan(state democrats, MLC) to
move a private motion at the upper house of South Australian Parliament.
I shall follow on that too.

There is no such cooperation from the ACT Legislative Assembly. Chief
Minister Kate Cornell of ACT Legislative Assembly in Canberra inform me
that they would rather prefer this matter to put in the hands of Federal
counterparts. ACT's legislature is a small assembly of just about 15
legislators which sitting in the shadows of federal government.
Nevertheless, wouldn't that be nice if they can express support to
democracy movement in Burma?

Meanwhile, Australian Human Rights Commissioner has just came back from
Burma: but he didn't meet with Aung San Suu Kyi. In anycase, there has
been no concrete proposal from Australian Government in terms of
immediately redressing the human rights and political impasse in Burma.
We, the democracy groups from around the world, are to take the Human
Rights Commissioner's visit literally as a sign of Australian Government
is NOW willing to help support democracy movement in Burma. Certainly,
there are few things the Australian (federal) Government can help:
particularly to support the CRPP in Burma.

Regards, U Ne Oo.
*********************
2/6/99 LETTER TO HON BOB SUCH AND IAN GILLIFILAN

Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000

2 June, 1999.

Hon Bob Such, MP
Member, House of Assembly
State Parliament of South Australia
ADELAIDE  SA 5000

Dear Hon Bob Such

I am a Burmese exile residing in South Australia. Here in Adelaide, I
have been working in as a member/supporter to Burma Action (South
Australia) and Adelaide Justice Coalition. I am also the secretary of
the Network for International Protection of the Refugees(NetIPR)--a
local grass-roots human rights organisation to protect the rights of the
refugees(brochure enclosed). I have also engaged in human rights
campaigns as a member-supporter to the Amnesty International.

I also have contact with  various Burmese expatriate organisa-tions
worldwide and, in my personal capacity as a Burmese exile, give support
to democracy movement inside Burma led by Aung San Suu Kyi. In this
context, I am seeking the way for the State Parliament of South
Australia to support the democratic opposition in Burma, especially the
Committee Representing People's Parliament(CRPP). In this regards, I ask
your kind help for an appropriate  motion supporting CRPP  at the State
Parliament of South Australia. In this connection, I enclosed a motion
by Legislative Assembly of Province of British Columbia in Canada. I
have also enclosed the resolutions adopted by European Parliament and
Inter-Parliamentary Union, supporting the CRPP and democracy movement in
Burma. A summary about opposition party National League for Democracy in
Burma and CRPP is also given with this letter.

In closing, thank you for your kind attention to this matter. I welcome
any further inquiry regarding this matter and I'll appreciate your
advise and support on ways to approach the Parliament of South
Australia.

Yours sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

3/6/99 LETTER FROM HON BOB SUCH, MP

Dear DR U Ne Oo
Ian Gilfillan and I were pleased to meet with you on 2 June 1999 and
will follow through re:

-- a Resolution in Barliament relating to Burma, and
-- a letter to Hon Alexander Downer, Federal Minister for Foreign
Affairs, re the Australian Government's efforts to bring about a return
of democracy in Burma( Myanmar)

Thank you once again for raising these important matters with us

Yours sincerely Bob Such MP JP
Member for Fisher.

--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo