FROM PARTY POLITICS TO NATIONAL POL

Subject: FROM PARTY POLITICS TO NATIONAL POLITICS

FROM PARTY POLITICS TO NATIONAL POLITICS

1. Why did I quit the NLD Central Committee in December 1999. ?

2. Having regained the opportunity, on 5 July 1999, of participating in
national politics, what are the things that I plan to do ?

3. I propose to work hand in hand with the Tatmadaw, the National Force,
toward the emergence of the State Constitution and to work within the law to
safeguard and promote the interests and well-being of my constituents.

U Hla Soe
Pyithu Hluttaw Representative-Elect
Minbu/Sagu Constituency

PHITHU  HLUTTAW   REPRESENTATIVE-ELECT  FROM MINBU/SAGU  CONSTITUENCY  U  HLA
  SOE'S  ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING  HIS  DECLARING  OF  INTENT   TO  PARTICIPATE
IN  NATIONAL  POLITICS

1.     I, U Hla Soe, contested the Pyithu Hluttaw National elections of 1990
as the NED candidate and was duly elected from the Magway Division,
Minbu/Sagu No.2 Constituency.

2.    Representative-Elect I participated whole-heartedly in the work of the
National Convention to draw up a new State Constitution. In 1996 Do Aung San
Su Kyi was freed from house-detention and in the same year she called a
meeting of NED Representatives at her home to discuss the advisability or
otherwise of continued NED participation in the work of the National
Convention. During the course of the meeting I pointed out that the drawing
up of the new constitution was a task of momentous national importance, that
it was a necessary step in the building of the nation, and that it would be
politically inexpedient to boycott the Convention. Daw Aung Su Kyi replied in
a hectoring tone that the matter was no longer open to discussion and that
the decision had already been taken for the NED Representatives to quit the
National Convention .

3.     From that time onwards, there was no longer any semblance of democracy
or tolerance of dissent within the Party, as a result of which I resigned
from the Central Committee on 10 December 1996. However accordance with the
terms of Government Notification No. 1/90 which stipulated that elected
candidates were to serve until the work on the Constitution was complete, I
continued to attend the Meetings of the National Convention as a
Representative-Elect.

4 .     On 18 April 1999, a group of members who had already resigned from
the Central Committee and those who has not yet done so came together and, in
a constructive spirit and imbued with a sincere desire to further the

interests of the nation and the Central Committee, prepared and submitted a
series of proposals to resolve the difficulties that the NLD and the other
political parties were facing.

5 .     These proposals were rejected out of hand by the Party Central
Executive Committee a.k.a the 10Member NLD Hlutaw Committee, which
furthermore issued denunciations and violent criticism of the proposals and
mounted a virulent campaign of scurrilous personal attacks and recriminations
on the authors of the paper. An NED Office Order (No.142/See(Seeyone)99 dated
14-6-99) and signed by NLD Chairman U Aung Shwe was issued declaring that the
18 members who had signed the proposals were no longer connected with the
Party,were no longer NLD Hluttaw Representatives and that they were hereby
expelled from the Central Committee.

6.     As I had already resigned from the Central Committee in December 1966
owing to differences of political opinion with its members, I had had nothing
more to do with it, and in the present instance the Committee is merely
exploiting the situation to their own political advantage.

7.     The National Elections Commission, in its Notification No .
l9/Ya-Pa-Ka-2 dated 5 July 1999, declared that I am the duly elected Hluttaw
Representative-Elect 1- independent) from Minbu/Sagu Constituency.

8.     It is my sincere desire to forsake party politics to engage in
national politics and to actively cooperate with all the members of my
constituency in working for their betterment.

Accordingly I hereby solemnly undertake

a) to work towards the emergence of the State Constitution.

b) to work within the framework of the law to safeguard and promote the
interests and well-being of my constituents.

9.     Respectfully

                    U Hla Soe
Hluttaw Representative-Elect(Independent)
           Minbu/Sagu Constituency