Press release: Human Rights Activis

Subject: Press release: Human Rights Activists Play a "More Meaningful"

Game of Golf
To: (Recipient list suppressed)

For immediate release: July 24, 1999

HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS PLAY A ?MORE MEANINGFUL? GAME OF GOLF

Singapore, Sat ­ Asean-based human rights activists today played what they
claimed was a more meaningful game of golf, a day ahead of the Asean
Ministerial Golf Tournament.

The activists used balls glued with pictures of Asean leaders. The object of
the game was to navigate balls through hazards labelled ?Non-interference
policy?, ?ISA & National Security Laws?, ?Money politics? ?Media &
Information Control? into holes named ?Democracy?, ?Human Rights?
?Transparency & Accountability?, ?Social Justice? and ?Sustainable
Development?.

?We won the game together,? said Debbie Stothard, Coordinator of
Altsean-Burma. ?We managed to get all the leaders into a minimum of two
holes within 10 minutes...if only it were that easy in real life.?

Mr Wilson Lucente of Amnesty International Philippines assured the media
that the portraits of Asean leaders which were stuck on the balls suffered
no undue violence: ?We only used a putter to gently guide the balls. No one
used irons or woods.?

Ms Alison Wee of SUARAM Malaysia pointed out that the alternative game was
more meaningful than the Ministerial Golf Tournament. ?The golf played by
ministers are an elite sport which use up precious land and resources. Golf
greens are maintained with chemicals which cause damage to the environment
and human beings.?

ENDS

For more information, please telephone
(From Singapore) 02012 330 0996