AFP-ASEAN to stick to consensus in

Subject: AFP-ASEAN to stick to consensus in tackling intra-regional disputes

ASEAN to stick to consensus in tackling intra-regional disputes
SINGAPORE, July 23 (AFP) - Southeast Asian foreign ministers decided Friday
to stick to their consensus approach in resolving intra-regional problems,
including thorny issues like human rights.
Singapore Foreign Minister S. Jayakumar said the approach to tackling
disputes, including bilateral and territorial problems, in the region was
discussed during a private meeting among the ministers without their aides
being present.

The four-hour "retreat" at the Singapore island resort of Sentosa took place
after their opening talks during which they discussed the region's recovery
from crisis and other problems facing the 10-nation ASEAN grouping.

This is the first time in the 32-year-old Association of Southeast Asian
Nations' (ASEAN) history that its foreign ministers met as a group without
any officials to have a brainstorming session.

"Whatever they may be, whether territorial disputes or otherwise, on that we
agreed that just as we have managed the differences in a way that it does
not impede ASEAN cooperation, it is a trend we must continue," Jayakumar
told reporters.

Citing bilateral disputes as an example, he said the foreign ministers "have
been able to keep up with the cooperation."

"In order to do that, it was felt that we must seek the unity and solidarity
of ASEAN. If we do that, we will be able to keep continuing ASEAN
cooperation notwithstanding occasional hiccups we observe between two or
more countries," Jayakumar said.

He said that the ministers also felt during the brainstorming "that the
time-honoured principles and traditions of ASEAN -- consensus,
consultations, non-interference in internal affairs -- have stood well.

"We should not abandon them, but without abandoning them how can the
organisation and its members face new challenges that will have to be
confronted by ASEAN -- challenges such as good governance, democratisation
and human rights and so on.

"These are challenges ASEAN must face, and face it in a way without
abandoning established principles," he said.

ASEAN had come under fire from Western groups and activists for not doing
enough on upholding human rights, including alleged abuses in Myanmar and

indefinite detention without trial of dissidents and opposition figures.

The grouping was also criticised for its failure to resolve recent regional
crises, such as the Asian economic downturn, pollution from forest fires,
and security issues. The new free-style approach to discussions can be seen
as an attempt to re-energise the forum, diplomats said.

Donning suits, the ministers took a 30-minute bus ride to Sentosa resort for
the private meeting which was originally scheduled for only three hours.

Jayakumar said they had no fixed agenda but promised "frank and candid"
discussions on the future direction of ASEAN.

They also discussed strengthening ASEAN's dialogue process with its top
trading partners.

Jayakumar said it was important to reassess ASEAN's role now as its
membership had expanded to 10 with Cambodia's entry in April and with
economic and political changes and bilateral difficulties in the region.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the
Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.