Best ever Junior Championship organ

Subject: Best ever Junior Championship organized by ABC

Best ever Junior Championship organized by ABC

YANGON, 20 July-The following is the Press Release
by Datuk Punch Gunalam, Vice-President of International
Badminton Federation and Honorary Secretary General
of Asian Badminton Confederation, upon the successful
completion of the "Golden Eagle Asian Juniors
Badminton Championship, 1999", here today.

    The Golden Eagle Asian Juniors Badminton
Championship 1999 has been successfully completed.
It has become the best ever Junior Championship
organised by ABC to-date and has created many new
records.

    There were a record number of 24 countries and
regions with more than 350 players and officials
participated in the Championship. It also can boast
of the biggest crowd ever in a junior event world-wide.
It is also one of the best organised event and above
all, the wonderful hospitality extended by the Myanmar
people has made every participant very happy and take
home pleasant memories of their stay at the Golden
Land of Myanmar.

    On behalf of ABC, I would like to express our
sincere thanks to the Government of Myanmar,
especially to the Chairman of Myanmar National Olympic
Council Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt. His presence at the opening
ceremony, during the Championship and at the prize
presentation ceremony greatly motivated the players.
It also is a great boost to the development of
badminton in Myanmar.

    Our thanks also goes to the Minister of Sports,
Chairman of the Myanmar Olympic Committee and
Chairman of the Organising Committee Brig-Gen Sein
Win for his tireless efforts in ensuring everything
went according to the plan.

    A special thanks to the Myanmar Badminton
Federation and to its President U Kyi Nyunt for
their effort in organising such a successful event.

    This year's event was one of the closest
contested championship which speaks well for the
rising standard of badminton in many Asian countries.
I must take this opportunity to congratulate the
Myanmar players for their performance which was
much better than previous years and I wish them
the very best of luck in the future to become one
of the leading nations in Asia and the world.