Shan Resistance Leader Confirmed Un

Subject: Shan Resistance Leader Confirmed Unity with Yawdserk:

Shan Resistance Leader Confirmed Unity with Yawdserk

A Shan resistance leader from eastern Shan State reaffirmed his group's
allegiance to Yawdserk, commander of the Shan States Army today.

Interviewed by SHAN today, Maj. Kham Famuang, Acting Commander of the East
Salween Force, confirmed his group's solidarity with Yawdserk's Shan States
Army.

"Yesterday was the third anniversary of the signing of our pact in 1996", he
said. "We held a special meeting of our commanders who pledged to remain with
me under the leadership of Sao Yawdserk".

The group had been somewhat adrift after the mysterious disappearance of its
commander, Ltc. Lernsai a.k.a Sai Lu on 14 August.

Kham Famuang a.k.a Kham celebrated the event by ambushing an SPDC column from
IB 316 (Tachilek based) this morning. The attack, led by Capt. Suriya of the
Black Panther Column, he said, captured 5 dead, 1 G3 (automatic rifle), 1 G4
(automatic rifle), 1 rocket launcher and more than 300 cartridges.

"They also captured large quantities of chicken flesh from the backpacks. They
were no doubt stolen from the villagers", he said.

The battle took place near the village of Mongkarn in Mongsart District
yesterday, 09:30 - 12:00. The Shan suffered one wounded, he added: a First
Lieutenant Zarm.

For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15
Nonghoi P.O., 50007
Chiangmai