Bkk Post-Junta admits it can't halt

Subject: Bkk Post-Junta admits it can't halt flow of drugs

Bangkok Post July 17, 1999.
Junta admits it can't halt flow of drugs

Prime Minister Than Shwe of Burma has admitted his government is unable to
control border areas held by ethnic minorities and stop drug smuggling,
Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai said.

Mr Chuan said they had discussed the problem of drugs and border disputes
during recent talks in Chiang Rai.

"Prime Minister Than Shwe accepted that (his government) could not control
areas under the influence of minority groups.

"He admitted this and asked me half-seriously, half-jokingly if I was free
to fly with him to inspect the areas to prove what he said.

"I told him, frankly, that we must co-operate to suppress drug trafficking.

"Burma accepts this, but it will be some time before the process can begin,"
the prime minister said.

Mr Chuan said last week's seizure of nearly two million amphetamine pills
showed that Thailand's drug suppression efforts were better.

"I clearly told Burma that we must collaborate as we know that only a small
amount of drugs are produced in Thailand. This means the drugs are coming in
from border areas, especially Burma," he said.

Mr Chuan was speaking on Radio Thailand.