Nobel duty

(Article from The New Light of Myanmar, 16th July,1999)
Author : Kethari

       "Patriotic spirit will lead the people to have loyalty towards the
nation and the race and the Union spirit can bring about amity and
solidarity. These qualities are the basic strength for the nation. This basic
strength can develop political, economic and social conditions of the nation
and ensure perpetuity of the Union. This is the noble dub for the people; and
only good citizens have the ability to shoulder such noble duty."

    Above is an excerpt from the address delivered by Patron of Union
Solidarity-and Development Association Chairman of the State Peace and
Development Council Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General
Than Shwe at the closing ceremony of USDA Executives' Advanced Management
Course No 5 and Executives' Management Course No 18 which was held in
Pyidaungsu Hall of the Central Public Relations Unit in Hmawby, Yangon
Division, at 9 am. on 23 June.

    Every citizen or national born and brought up in a country should love
and be loyal to their mother country.

    He or she should have amity and sincere goodwill for his or her fellow
countrymen who were born on the same land and are living together with him or
her through thick and thin and in weal or woe. This is the Union spirit and
spirit of love and amity towards one's own nationality. It can be called
patriotic spirit when taken together.

    As it can be said that vitalization of patriotic spirit originates from
the cetena and wish for the perpetuation, flourishing and development of the
nation for the people to enjoy peace, tranquillity, progress and prosperity,
it can be also said that due to patriotic spirit, goodwill towards the nation
and the people will become stronger. The total of 135 national races who were
born on same land and who are close relatives are residing in the Union of
Myanmar. The combination of all these 135 national races is call Myanmar.

    The spirit of loving Myanmar and Myanmar nationality is Myanmar patriotic
spirit. Myanmar spirit is always loyal to Myanmar and Myanmar people. One
will love Myanmar only if he or she is a pure Myanmar. The spirit of the
non-Myanmar international friends who are helping Myanmar are based on cetena
and metta. Nations are usually built with the spirit of oneness or the Union
spirit. Since yore, Myanmar has been a Union where various national races
have lived together. The independent Union of Myanmar was founded on 4

January 1948 with the united strength of all the national races, though the
colonialist British made perpetrations to cause dissension among the
nationalities. The independent Union of Myanmar emerged again due to the
spirit of the unity of all the national races which came out from the Panlong
Conference.

    The spirit of patriotism has been vitalized as all the national races,
though they have differences in regions, climate conditions, culture,
costumes and traditions, have lived together through thick and thin and weal
or woe with eggs and nest intact in unity and amity with the conviction that
they are of the same family who were born on Myanmar land.

    The spirit of loving the nation should be kept in the hearts of all the
Myanmar people. Patriotism of all the people in nations or Unions formed with
the Union system is the Union spirit. Union spirit always flourishes in
Unions which were formed with the solidarity, unity and amity of all the
nation races. Manifestation of the Union spirit is love and unity of all the
nationalities.

    Patron of USDA Senior General Than Shwe has given the guidance, saying,
"Patriotic spirit will lead towards having loyalty to the nation and the
people and the Union spirit can bring about amity and solidarity." He also
said that patriotic spirit based on loyalty and Union spirit based on
solidarity and amity are the basic strength of the nation.

    The Patron of the USDA gave guidance to its members. "This basic strength
can develop political, economic and social conditions of the nation and
ensure perpetuity.of the Union. This is the noble duty of the people and only
good citizens will be able to shoulder such noble duties. Members of USDA
should strive possess the qualifications of the good citizens. A standard
citizen is always sincere and strives for the constructive development,
always giving priority to and having the will to work for the well-being of
the people, knowing the law of civics and ethics and being able to safeguard
and preserve the race. Today's youth who will have to assume duties in future
society should strive to have abilities of good citizens and ones who can
build and defend the nation.

    The USDA was formed as a national force and its members are now 11
million. Courses are being conducted for it to have not only quantity but
also quality. The courses at central level are five USDA Executives' Advanced
Management Courses, 18 Executives' Management Courses and multiplier courses
in townships. I also learned that various kinds of courses-computer courses,
spoken English courses, accounting courses and Buddhist culture courses were
opened.

    Correct thought can be acquired based on the lectures of the courses;
especially ability to make criticism and assessment can be obtained. The
Patron said, "You will have to make differentiations in conducting practical
duties; you should have ability to differentiate between constructive
endeavours and destructive misdeeds, to foresee what can lead to unity and
what can lead to destruction; and you should distinguish between policy of
augmentation and policy of devastation and progress and retrogression and

should have correct attitude." We have had bitter experiences in Myanmar
history as we could not distinguish between right and wrong, construction and
destruction and good and bad. If we do not have ability to make criticism and
assessment on the basis of our own knowledge and intelligence, we cannot
advance beyond being   just followers or tagging along blindly at the tail
end of wrong concepts.

    Emergence of a peaceful, modern developed nation is the State's goal the
entire Myanmar people aspire to. In marching toward the goal, Myanmar people
have to lay down short-term and long-term projects and implement them. While
ministries concerned are endeavouring for success of projects with the
guidance of the State, Patron Senior General Than Shwe gave guidance on role
of the USDA members like this.

    "Concerning the projects, I will tell you about two aspects. The first is
that we are standing on our own strength and depending on ourselves in
implementing the projects. Self-reliant spirit is the spirit of our people. I
believe that if there are no disturbances plans can be successfully
implemented with goodwill, zeal and perseverance and participation of the
people. The second is as the USDA is a national force you should know the
benefits of the projects and take part with high momentum in implementing
them. You should also make efforts to fulfil the wish of the people who are
aspiring to a high standard of living and a peaceful and tranquil life."

    This monsoon, crop cultivation activities are under way nationwide. The
Patron urged USDA members to give assistance in crop cultivation and to
observe oath, conduct and responsibilities prescribed in basic principles of
the association, accepting the life of the good citizens. I take it as not
just an exhortation, but assigning of a great duty.