Mahasnag Denied Involvement in Drug

Subject: Mahasnag Denied Involvement in Drugs:

The leader of Wa National Organization, a non-ceasefire Wa Group,
categorically disclaimed accusation from Thai police of being involved in
drugs.

Sao Mahasang a.k.a Prince of Vieng-ngern, who just returned from his trip
to the border after nearly two weeks, denied he was involved in the 5.7
million amphetamine tablet import operation in exchange for 40 off-roaders
from Thailand, as was claimed by Thai police authorities last month.

He also denied having a partnership with his half brother, Mahaja, who
lives in Homong across the border from Maehongson. "We had chosen separate
ways long ago", he said.

He added that the concerned Thai official must have been misinformed. "He
said the Red Wa group was led by Mahasang and Mahaja that was contrary to
facts. I have never been a communist before. On the contrary, I have always
fought against it. The Red Wa group (i.e the United Wa State Army) is not
led by me, but by Pao Yuchang, one of whose commanders is Wei Hsiaogang,
who has been indicted by the United States".

For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15
Nonghoi P.O., 50007
Chiangmai