15/7/99:LETTER TO US SECRETARY OF S

WRITTEN THU 15 JUL 99; 9:00AM.

LETTER TO SECRETARY ALBRIGHT
************************************
[ADDED NOTE: PLEASE HELP WRITE LETTERS, ANY WAY YOU SEE FIT, TO THE
THREE IMPORTANT PERSONS CONCERNING CURRENT ASEAN MEETING. WE REALLY HAVE
ONLY QUITE SHORT TIME TO LOBBY. ---REGARDS, U NE OO.]
*********************
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
AUSTRALIA

15 July 1999.

Hon. Madeleine Albright
US Secretary of State
c/- Burma Desk, Dept.of State
Room 5206, 2201 C Street
Washington DC 20500
Tel/Fax:(1-202)647-3069

Dear Secretary-Albright,

re: Burma and ASEAN meetings on 22-28 July 1999.

I call Secretary Albright's attention to the matters in connection with
forthcoming ASEAN meetings in Singapore on 22-28 July 1999. In this
connection, I enclosed my appeal letters to Secretary-General of ASEAN
and to the Chief Officer of European Commission Human Rights Unit for
your information. I have requested the ASEAN and EU not to give floor to
the SPDC/SLORC appointed Foreign Minister, H.E. U Win Aung, at these
ASEAN meetings unless the Burmese junta agrees to accept international
mediation and to commence dialogue opposition NLD. In particular, the
European Union is requested to continue with its strong stand against
the Burmese military junta.

Since you will be attending these ASEAN meetings, I ask you and the
Government of United States to support and fortify the strong EU stand
against Burmese military junta. I also appeal you to persuade other
dialogue partners to oppose the attendance of SPDC/SLORC appointed
Foreign Minister U Win Aung to these ASEAN meetings. I believe the ASEAN
and its dialogue partners making such strong representation may help
pressure the Burmese junta to open dialogue with the opposition.

In closing, I thank you and Government of United States for your
continuing efforts made on Burma. We the Burmese are very grateful to
President Clinton who has helped in expelling the Burmese junta's
delegation from International Labour Orgainsation.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
(SD. U Ne Oo)
Copy to:

1. Hon Alexander Downer, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Parliament House,
Canberra ACT 2600, Australia.

2. Hon Rajsoomer Lallah, Special Rapporteur for Human Rights, c/-Centre
for Human Rights, Palias des Nations, CH-1211 Geneva 10 Switzerland.
---
 HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo
EMAILS: drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
POSTMAIL: Dr U Ne Oo, 18 Shannon Place, Adelaide SA 5000, AUSTRALIA
[http://freeburma.org/[http://www.angelfire.com/al/homepageas/index.htm]