14/07/99: LETTER TO E.C. HUMAN RIGH

WRITTEN WED 14-JUL-99; 2:30PM.

LETTER TO EUROPEAN UNION HUMAN RIGHTS UNIT
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
AUSTRALIA.

14 July 1999.

Daniela Napoli
Chief, Human Rights Unit
European Commission
Rue de la Loi 200
B-1049 Brussels, Belgium
Tax:(32-2)295-7850

Dear Mrs Napoli:

I am writing to thank the European Commission for sending a fact-finding
mission to Rangoon as the EU's initiative for dialogue in Burma. We, the
Burmese people, very much appreciate the European Commission making
efforts to solve the political and human rights problems in Burma.
Further efforts in this regards with maintaining the tough stand against
Burmese junta are required because the junta have already rejected the
concept of international mediation and, hence, the dialogue with the
opposition National League for Democracy.

Particularly in this year, we, the oppressed people of Burma, have been
very encouraged by the European Union taking a strong policy position on
Burmese junta. Such EU's strong policy stand on Burma has been reflected
in its relation with ASEAN, specifically at the ASEAN-EU Joint
Cooperation Committee Meetings in January, March and May 1999. I appeal
European Commission to continue such stand against the Burmese junta. In
particular, I ask the European Commission to demand ASEAN that the
SPDC/SLORC appointed Burmese Foreign Minister, H.E. U Win Aung, be
excluded from forthcoming ASEAN meetings on 22-28 July 1999 in
Singapore; unless the Burmese junta accept international mediation and
to start dialogue with the opposition.

I am mindful that the importance of EU maintaining good relation with
ASEAN countries. I am particularly aware that the significance of these
ASEAN meetings, AMM/ARF/PMC, for ASEAN member countries and their
dialogue partners. Our principal purpose is to prevent the military
junta using these forums as propaganda tools and, certainly, not to
cause damage to any of the ASEAN relation with its dialogue partners. I
therefore suggest that, in case of those meetings require to include
Burma as a country, only the Burma's Ambassador to Singapore-not the
Foreign Minister U Win Aung- should be allowed to attend.

In closing, I thank you and European Commission for your continuing
efforts to help solve Burma's human rights and political problems.

Yours sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.
---
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo
EMAILS: drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
POSTMAIL: Dr U Ne Oo, 18 Shannon Place, Adelaide SA 5000, AUSTRALIA
[http://freeburma.org/[http://www.angelfire.com/al/homepageas/index.htm]