Ralph Bachoes article in The BurmaN (r)

Subject: Re: Ralph Bachoes article in The BurmaNet News: July 12, 1999

Dear readers,

I do not know who the writer <Indiana> is, neither do I know of Mr.
Bachoe. However, the subject matter made me write this note.
It is 'the work of NLD and its impact on the Burmese indigenous
intellectual community and academics'.

RE:Indiana:>Please allow me the following comments on Ralph Bachoe's
	> article  "Recent Ructions In The NLD Have Done Little To
	> Change The Status Quo" in the July 11th issue of the
	> Bangkok Post, as quoted in the BurmaNet News: July 12, 1999,
	> Issue #1312

As far as we see, hear and witness, what NLD has done is not little,
but an impossible task under extremely difficult circumstances. NLD
members - they have no money but their own lives, time, talent,
will, belief, labour, cedana (Burmese word) and great love for the
nation and the country called Burma, or Myanmar. They sacrifice
whatsoever they have, paid an extremely high price and still paying
for the betterment of the whole population not only for their own sake.
They died for the country, being put in the prison, having been
tortured and still continue having that sort of untold treatments.
These are not to be considered as the complete list of NLD's work,
only the bit that caused me think - what are they doing, why are
they doing and what am/are I/we doing? Or what am/are I/we not
doing? [We = members of the Burmese indigenous intellectual
community and academics.]

The most relevant and direct impact is waking up our self
consciousness. We, though some of us are political activists,
majority Burmese indigenous academics are apolitical. Even to
those who are apolitical, when our consciousness is awake,
we speak more openly, courageously and in favour of the unserved,
underserved, unwanted, poorer and less fortunate people. The
world listen to them not to the "faint-hearted" so-called
academics.

I think, we shall give credit to NLD for their good work that
has made good impression and direct impact on our consciousness.
Please let us not speak against the Sun.

Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein
WRTC
The Water, Research and Training Centre (WRTC) for a new Burma is
a non-governmental, non-profit, educational foundation, explicitly
apolitical in nature, working for the Burmese peoples by promoting
and improving their access to research and training opportunities
and education in the water and rural sector in Burma and abroad.
P.O. Box 118, 2600 AC Delft, The Netherlands.
http://wrtcburma.org
Tel. +31-15-2151814, Fax +31-15-214 39 22, E-mail nin@xxxxxx