ABSDO statement for 7th July

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEC877.F6BE90A0

Statement on commemoration of 7th July

The day, 7th July 1962, is one of the unforgettable days in Burmese =
student history against military dictatorship in Burma. 37 years ago, on =
that day, the military regime that took over the power by armed might on =
2nd March 1962 demolished the Students Union building. Since then, the =
Students Union has never been allowed to re-establish and thousands of =
students have been killed for students rights and human rights by the =
regime, till today.=20

We, therefore, strongly condemn the brutal regime and its violations of =
democratic and human rights.

In May 1990, the military regime promised, as known world wide, to hand =
over the power to the elected people representatives and held the =
general elections. However, the shameless regime ignored the election =
result as well as the will of the entire people of Burma.

In May 1998, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi led National League for Democracy =
party that won landslides victory in 1990 elections called for the =
convening of People's Parliament by August 21st. The current regime, =
State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) neglected again and detained =
over 2000 of NLD members including MPs-elect.=20

In mid September 1998, the 251 MPs-elect formed the Committee =
Representing People's Parliament (CRPP) as a highest authority of Burma =
to convene the People's Parliament for first time ever according to the =
1990 election result.=20

300 students were arrested because of their support to CRPP and their =
demand for reopening all schools that have been closed since December =
1996. 150 MPs are still detained at the so-called 'government guest =
house'.

In this situation, we earnestly call on the International community =
especially Australian government to take the firm pressure on SPDC =
unless the followings are applied.

- To recognise the CRPP as a highest authority of Burma and its lawful =
right to convene People's Parliament as per 1990 election result.

- To engage peaceful dialogue between CRPP and SPDC.

- To release all political prisoners and students including student =
leader Min Ko Naing.=20

- To reopen all universities and colleges closed since December 1996.

Central Committee

All Burma Students Democratic Organisation (Australia)

-------
Dated; 7th July 1999.

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEC877.F6BE90A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</P><B><I><U><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></I>
<P>Statement on commemoration of 7th July<I></P></B>
<P align=3Djustify></I></U></FONT>&nbsp;
<P align=3Djustify>The day, 7th July 1962, is one of the unforgettable =
days in=20
Burmese student history against military dictatorship in Burma. 37 years =
ago, on=20
that day, the military regime that took over the power by armed might on =
2nd=20
March 1962 demolished the Students Union building. Since then, the =
Students=20
Union has never been allowed to re-establish and thousands of students =
have been=20
killed for students rights and human rights by the regime, till today. =
</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>We, therefore, strongly condemn the brutal regime and =
its=20
violations of democratic and human rights.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In May 1990, the military regime promised, as known =
world wide,=20
to hand over the power to the elected people representatives and held =
the=20
general elections. However, the shameless regime ignored the election =
result as=20
well as the will of the entire people of Burma.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In May 1998, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi led National League =
for=20
Democracy party that won landslides victory in 1990 elections called for =
the=20
convening of People's Parliament by August 21st. The current regime, =
State Peace=20
and Development Council (SPDC) neglected again and detained over 2000 of =
NLD=20
members including MPs-elect. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In mid September 1998, the 251 MPs-elect formed the =
Committee=20
Representing People's Parliament (CRPP) as a highest authority of Burma =
to=20
convene the People's Parliament for first time ever according to the =
1990=20
election result. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>300 students were arrested because of their support =
to CRPP and=20
their demand for reopening all schools that have been closed since =
December=20
1996. 150 MPs are still detained at the so-called 'government guest =
house'.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In this situation, we earnestly call on the =
International=20
community especially Australian government to take the firm pressure on =
SPDC=20
unless the followings are applied.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<DIR>
<P align=3Djustify>- To recognise the CRPP as a highest authority of =
Burma and its=20
lawful right to convene People's Parliament as per 1990 election=20
result.</P></DIR>
<P align=3Djustify>- To engage peaceful dialogue between CRPP and =
SPDC.</P>
<P align=3Djustify>- To release all political prisoners and students =
including=20
student leader Min Ko Naing. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>- To reopen all universities and colleges closed =
since December=20
1996.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P><B>
<P align=3Djustify>Central Committee</P>
<P align=3Djustify>All Burma Students Democratic Organisation =
(Australia)</P></B>
<P align=3Djustify>
<HR align=3Dright>
Dated; 7th July 1999.