Declaration of the Burmese Communit

Subject: Declaration of the Burmese Community in Sydney

Declaration of the Burmese Community
Sydney, Australia

We, the members of the Burmese Community in Sydney convened a public meeting
on the 29 May 1999 to commemorate the 9th anniversary of Burma's 1990
democratic elections.

Following the elections Burma's military regime refused, and continue to
refuse to transfer power to Aung San Suu Kyi's winning party the National
League for Democracy (NLD).

The NLD recently convened the Committee Representing the People's Parliament
(CRPP), to effect the people's mandate.

To promote the CRPP, the restoration of democracy and the rule of law in
Burma, to draw to the attention of the Australian community the appalling
human rights abuses that are systematically carried out in Burma, under the
express authority of the military dictatorship we hereby declare that we:-

Recognise the Committee Representing the People's Assembly (CRPP) convened
by the NLD on 16 September 1998, acting under the delegated authority of 251
elected Members of the Burmese Parliament and note that four non-Burman
ethnic political parties publicly supported the CRPP's establishment,

Express our firm belief that the CRPP is the legitimate authorised body to
implement the 1990 election result,

Endorse the CRPP's stated intention to convene the Parliament proper, and

Encourage the CRPP to convene the Parliament and promulgate a democratic
constitution that can guarantee the rule of law, human rights and equality
for all the people of Burma.

Regarding the military we declare that we:-

Condemn the military-orchestrated (sham) constitutional national convention
that is only aimed at further entrenching military rule, and

Urge the military regime in Burma to immediately undertake the following;

Unconditional release of all political detainees, and

Ensure that the Parliament is able to convene with those legitimately
elected.

We further call upon the Australian Federal and State Parliaments to:

Recognise the CRPP, and to take more effective action against the military
regime until they have entered into meaningful dialogue with the NLD, for
transition to democracy.

We therefore have resolved to launch a concerted strategic campaign in
Australia to secure support from Parliaments, Governments, Unions, Non

Government Organisations, Churches and the general community, for the CRPP,
and the Burmese democracy movement.

For further information please contact
U Tin Tut elected MP, National League for Democracy (NLD)
Ph:02 9643 8339
Joint Action Committee for a Democratic Burma (Sydney-Australia)