"Support Us Firmly" says Aung San S

Subject: "Support Us Firmly" says Aung San Suu Kyi

In her message to participants of the Conference on "New NGO Strategy for
Democratization in Burma" organised by the FDL-AP (Forum of Democratic
Leaders in the Asia Pacific), NLD leader and Nobel Peace laureate Aung San
Suu Kyi called on international supporters of the Burma cause to "support
us firmly".

Full text of her brief audio message which was smuggled out of Burma follows:

TRANSCRIPT OF DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S MESSAGE TO THE FDLAP CONFERENCE
June 23-24, 1999

We have now entered the second decade of our struggle for democracy in
Burma. It is a very difficult time for us, but it is also a time for much
inspiration and hope. For more than ten years our people have stood firmly
by the cause of democracy and human rights. The members of the National
League for Democracy have been persecuted and harassed at almost every turn
of their lives. Yet the majority of them have stood firmly by their beliefs
and are prepared to continue to sacrifice much of their personal happiness
and comfort for their belief in a better future for our country.

At this time we would like our friends from all over the world to support
us firmly. Everything that is done with regard to Burma, should be done
with a view to helping us to achieve good governance. Good governance means
transparency, accountability, respect for the people. Good governance means
democratic government. Whether it is governments, United Nations agencies,
or international NGOs, any help that they give Burma should be conditional
on progress toward democratisation. No help that is given without such
conditions will be truly of any help to our people. We need democracy in
order that our people may be able to live in security and peace, and
achieve prosperity. We would like to appeal to international organisations
and governments to help us bring about a peaceful transition to a
democratic government in Burma.

The military regime often accuses the National League for Democracy of
inflexibility. We have done everything we can to try to bring about a
dialogue that will help us find solutions to the problems of our country.
It is the military regime that is opposed to dialogue. We would like the
world to look clearly at what is happening and to see where the
inflexibility really lies. The National League for Democracy represents the
people of Burma and their desire for a fair, just, democratic government.
It is my hope that this conference, held in a country which is beginning to
enjoy the fruits of democracy, will be able to help us to achieve our aims
quickly and peacefully.

I would also like to express the hope that one day soon, we too, will be
able to hold such conferences in our country and make our own contribution
to the cause of democracy and human rights in our world.

[ends]

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel: 66 2 275 1811 * Fax: 66 2 693 4515