Karens claim responsibility for min

Subject: Karens claim responsibility for mine blast

June 26, 1999

Karens claim responsibility for mine blast

The anti-Rangoon Karen National Union has claimed responsibility for the mine
attack on a bus on a road opposite Mae Sot on Wednesday.

Seven people were killed and many injured in the attack.

A KNU source said the highway explosion was a warning to transport business
operators to take the group's protection fee demand seriously.

"We are capable of attacking any points along this 200km route," the source
said.

"Burmese soldiers cannot give anybody protection.

"If our demand is not met, we will attack large trucks transporting crucial
goods and oil," the source added.

Current Issues
in Thailand

Bangkok Post
Year-end
Economic Review

NEW!
Database 10 yrs

Classifieds

Jobs
Property
Entertainment
Investment
Education
Travel
Sales

Learn English

Weekly

Database
Horizons
NiteOwl
Student Weekly
Real Time

Special

We Care

Back Issues

Company Servcies
Subscriptions
Advertising
Annual Report
© Copyright The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 1999
Last Modified: Sat, Jun 26, 1999
For comments and letters to the editor see : notes
Comments to: Webmaster
Advertisng enquiries to Internet Marketing