TEXT: PRESIDENT EXTENDS AUTHORITY F

Subject: TEXT: PRESIDENT EXTENDS AUTHORITY FOR BURMA SANCTIONS

USIS Washington File

TEXT: PRESIDENT EXTENDS AUTHORITY FOR BURMA SANCTIONS
(Government of Burma continues large-scale repression) (510)

Washington -- President Clinton extended for another year the state of
emergency that provides the legislative authority for the
administration's sanctions against the Burmese regime.

In a notice published May 18, the president continued the state of
emergency because "the Government of Burma continues its policies of
committing large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in
Burma."

Following are the White House texts of the notice and the President's
letter to Congress on the subject:

(begin notice text)

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
May 18, 1999

NOTICE

CONTINUATION OF EMERGENCY WITH RESPECT TO BURMA

On May 20, 1997, I issued Executive Order 13047, effective at 12:01
A.M., Eastern Daylight Time on May 21, 1997, certifying to the
Congress under section 570(b) of the Foreign Operations, Export
Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 1997 (Public Law
104-208), that the Government of Burma has committed large-scale
repression of the democratic opposition in Burma after September 30,
1996, thereby invoking the prohibition on new investment in Burma by
United States persons, contained in that section. I also declared a
national emergency to deal with the threat posed to the national
security and foreign policy of the United States by the actions and
policies of the Government of Burma, invoking the authority, inter
alia, of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C.
1701-1706).

The national emergency declared on May 20, 1997, must continue beyond
May 20, 1999, because the Government of Burma continues its policies
of committing large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in
Burma.

Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National
Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing the national
emergency with respect to Burma. This notice shall be published in the
Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

WILLIAM J.  CLINTON

THE WHITE HOUSE,
May 18, 1999.

(end notice text)

(begin letter text)

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
May 18, 1999

TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES:

Section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d))
provides for the automatic termination of a national emergency unless,

prior to the anniversary date of its declaration, the President
publishes in the Federal Register and transmits to the Congress a
notice stating that the emergency is to continue in effect beyond the
anniversary date. In accordance with this provision, I have sent the
enclosed notice to the Federal Register for publication, stating that
the emergency declared with respect to Burma is to continue in effect
beyond May 20, 1999.

As long as the Government of Burma continues its policies of
committing large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in
Burma, this situation continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary
threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United
States. For this reason, I have determined that it is necessary to
maintain in force these emergency authorities beyond May 20, 1999.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

(end letter text)