Select: AB99-10 (r)

Well said.  Recall please that Tony Albrecht, an occasional contributor
to various Burma lists, an employee of the US-ASEAN Business Council, has
made exactly this "humanitarian" argument several times.  I have responded
by asking him to define the nature of the crisis, i.e. explain what he
percieves to be the cause of "the crisis."  He has not responded.

We need to be vigilant.  When this argument arises, using bland and
general terms, we must demand, demand, demand some detail.  What is the
crisis?  What is the cause?  What is the proposed remedy?  The UN Special
Rapporteur on Human Rights in Burma concludes that the crisis is caused by
decisions made at the highest levels of the junta, "entailing legal and
moral responsibility."  Very specific.  As ever, our campaign is to fight
general slogans "Engagement is good" with the true implications of such
slogans in Burma.

LD