extracts from address of Daw Aung S

Subject: extracts from address of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on 29-1-99

National Leagur for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Bahan

Extracts from address by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, General Secretary of
the National League for Democracy, on 29-1-99

xxxxx Now, the military authorities are claiming that they are working
towards democracy- this must be a fantasy.   xxxxx How can authorities
who are so afraid to grant basic democratic rights to people build or
construct democracy. The fact is that the present military authorities
are in great fear of people power. Their minds seem to be set on the
idea that only by keeping the people crushed and subjugated they can
exist. Such people can never construct democracy.   xxxxx   If they
had the guts, instead of saying that they are constructing democracy
they would be saying " we will never give you democracy'".

In one of his speeches, my father said that people who claim that they
have taken over power for love of their people and love of their
country will earn no respect. They would gain some respect if they
just said outright that it was for love of power. The National League
for Democracy has never claimed that we are motivated by love of
country or love for our people. We are motivated by our desire for
human rights and democracy. Why do we want democracy and human rights
because we want the people to reach a human standard that is equal to
international norms. We don't go about flaunting the idea of love for
country or love for our people.   xxxxx

Realistically, what we need is how many of our countrymen and women
are starving. How many children are suffering from diseases due to
malnutrition. How many mothers and babies have died at time of
delivery. How many children have been denied primary education. How
many have been denied access to any education. How many people have
died because our hospitals have no medicines. We do not want to know
about beautifying the landscape or the condition of the jungles, the
rivers etc.

xxxxx   There is no need to think that saying certain things will
create good impressions.
xxxxx   Our country will not prosper through constructing an imaginary
world.   xxxxx  There is much criticism about the democratic forces
and our National League for Democracy. If I have to give an example,
it is said that I am destructive and causing ruin to the country.
These utterances give the authorities such a bad reputation. Do they
not understand this? Can they not overthrow our "destructive

activities" with their "righteous operations"? The ones who wield
authorities are in control of the entire administrative machinery, all
the weaponry, all the country's resources and treasurers. How can this
mighty group with so much power in their hands defend a country if
they are still threatening to destroy and decimate a defenceless
organisation that they have been everlastingly crushing and
persecuting?

xxxxx    Acting as if they believe in democracy and treating this
country like a plaything, building a fantasy world is the cause of all
our problems. We can not continue in this way. That is why I am
constantly reminding you that our problems will not be automatically
solved once democracy is restored. Don't imagine this. Once democracy
is restored we will still struggling for the preservation of
democracy. We must build a strong and enduring foundation. After
laying a foundation to build a house, manpower, money and expertise
are required. A house built without architectural knowledge is not the
same as that built with architectural knowledge and expertise. In
addition, it is essential that we be honest and compassionate among
ourselves.

xxxxx   We must all lay this foundation correctly. Then we must build
that house with a continuous flow of material which involves many many
things. As I have stated earlier, we will need money. Without money,
materials can not be purchased. We need to be able to evaluate the
goods. Having money only will not do. We need to know their value.
Therefore knowledge of such things is essential. We must have friends
who can advise us about these values. We can not be isolated and stand
alone in this world. We need good friends. Even with good friends,
money, human and material resources and knowledge, this generation can
not erect and complete this building. Our children and their children
have to keep on building for a strong and durable structure.

xxxx   We can not obtain a strong and durable structure easily. We can
not drift along in any imaginary world. There will have to be great
sacrifices, tremendous hard work and effort .   xxxxx   We will have
to wrestle with all our might to catch up with those countries that
are ahead of us.   xxxxx    Look at the two countries that lost the
war - Germany and Japan. How they suffered and sacrificed the war. We
have read about the hardship they went through. Because they made
those sacrifices, they are the two leading countries in the world
today. Similarly we will have to go through the same process. If you
can suffer, you can gain. What is valuable can not be obtained without
effort. Don't depend on assistance (without strings attached) from
here to there. There is no such thing as "without strings attached".
Strings get attached automatically. We, believers in Buddhism, know
well all about this. Every circumstance has a reason and an effect and
one's deed predetermines one's future.   xxxxx   Don't take everything
that you can get or everything that is given to you. Benefit will only
be derived if you use everything you get honestly. Our country will
suffer if we spend easily what is easily got. The giving will not

continue.   xxxxx

This is why we can not go on living in a fantasy world. For the
members of the NLD,  there is no time for dwelling in fantasies. What
with having to run, and struggle and getting prison visitation
permits, and obtaining information about who has been arrested --
there is no time for fantasy. Later on when democracy is granted,
there will be no time to drifting into the fantasy world. Drifting
will not benefit our country. But there is one thing and that is we
must always have hope. There is a difference between having hope and
dreaming. It is not wrong to have hope but you have to work towards
achieving that hope. Just sitting down and dreaming will not do. Have
one vision and struggle to achieve it. Our vision is that we will have
genuine and a full measure of democracy and the full measure of human
rights for which we will struggle on. A fantasy world is not what we
want and that is not what we are building.   xxxxx

Rangoon