AP-Suu Kyi Seeks UN Action on Myanm

Subject: AP-Suu Kyi Seeks UN Action on Myanmar

Friday April 9 8:01 AM ET

Suu Kyi Seeks UN Action on Myanmar
By ROBERT HORN Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has
called 1998 the worst year for repression by the military government through
most of the '90s, with hundreds of her party members in jail and parts of
their organization demolished.

The Nobel laureate also characterized the military's actions against her
followers as criminal.

``What we have suffered over the last year is far more than what we have
suffered over the last six or seven years,'' Suu Kyi said in a videotaped
message to the Geneva-based U.N. Commission on Human Rights. The tape was
released in Bangkok today.

The 53-nation commission is holding its annual six-week meeting in Geneva to
call attention to human rights abuses around the world. It also screened a
videotape message from Suu Kyi last year.

Since late 1997, the Myanmar military, which closely monitors Suu Kyi to
prevent her from conducting public political activities, has discouraged
journalists from meeting with the opposition leader. Interviews with her are
rare, and supporters have smuggled out her videotaped messages, including an
address to the U.N. General Assembly last year.

In her latest message, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner appealed to the
commission for a firm resolution to protect human rights in Myanmar, also
known as Burma.

``What we need now is more than just mere words. We need concrete action
because our people are suffering,'' Suu Kyi said.

Suu Kyi was placed under house arrest from 1989-95 for leading the campaign
for democracy in Myanmar, which has been ruled by the military since 1962.
She was released from house arrest in 1995, but the regime has refused to
enter into a dialogue with her.

Stonewalled, she and her National League for Democracy - which won an
overwhelming election victory in 1990 that the military has refused to
honor - said last May they would convene the parliament. But her defiant
statement was met with a sharp escalation of repression by the military.

More than 1,000 party members were arrested, including members of
parliament. Suu Kyi said 150 of the legislators are still in jail, as are
about 300 to 400 party members.

The military has said more than 10,000 National League for Democracy members
have resigned. Suu Kyi said the resignations were coerced by soldiers.

``It has come to the point when the activities of the regime are tantamount
to criminal activities,'' Suu Kyi said.

The regime's hard line was demonstrated last month when it refused to grant
a visa to Suu Kyi's husband, Michael Aris, who was terminally ill with
cancer and wanted to visit his wife before he died. The military told Suu
Kyi she should visit Aris in Britain. She declined, certain the authorities
would not allow her to return to Myanmar. Aris died March 27 in a London
hospital.