Students Activists and Daw Aung San

Subject: Students Activists and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

Dear Students'Activists
=======================

Though much had been said about the Burma's army trying to consolidate
its power since the early 1950's, U Nu's government which was too
engrossed by its failure and problems within its own party had
definitely failed to take it seriously. It sought an easy way out of the
political frustrations( AFPFL was split into "Thant-Shin" & "Tee-Mye"in
March 1958 ) entrusting Ne Win to run the country as Caretaker
Government on 28 October 1958 on the promise that he will run a fair and
free election within six months.

Little did "they" know ("U Nu, Bohmu Aung, U Ba Swe, U Kyaw Nyein and
others") that they had underestimated Ne Win's ambition and his closely
knit network of second generation officers from his own 4th-Burma Rifles
battalion who would later rule the country in totalitarian manner.

On 2 March 1962, Ne Win who was the commander-in-chief of the Burma's
military at the time seized power through a coup without any resistance
from U Nu's government or from the people. From that day, the people of
Burma was under the rule of the most repressive military regime who
overthrew the only democratically elected govenment since Burma got its
independance on 4 January 1948.

The true color of Ne Win's tyrany and ruthlessness became clear when the
students first demonstrated openly against his miltary regime on 7 July
1962. From that day, my support to the students'condemnation of the
military coup and the demand for the restoration of democracy and
resentment to military dictatorship was kept alive.

["We", many of us who believed the true causes of the "7 July" are still
living outside Burma. Though the "8-8-88" crisis happened many many
years after we left Burma on our own personal capacities, close
contacts, modern technology in news and media had kept us informed of
the extent of the atrocities that had inflicted upon the
people(men,women,children and monks) in general and students in
particular.

We are glad to learn that many of you wanted Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to
remain inside the country to complete her just cause. [Remember, "many"
went out( "U Nu, Bo Kyaw Zaw, T.Cliff,..")of Burma, or rather made to
leave the country. They tried to fight against Ne Win's regime from
outside but all had failed.]

We support the students' movements and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for her
leadership and her sacrifices in your tireless efforts to bring back
democracy to our country. Though we don't see our return to our own

country duirng our time, we see much hope and prospects in your life
time. We had never come across a leader like that before who would put
country before self.

There is much hope for the next generation. We urge you to continue your
support for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's leadership; work with her and in
unity among your groups. We wote these postings to share our experience,
knowledge or even advice and help for those who ask for them so that
they do not have to re-live the live we have gone through to experience
the same. Most importantly we would like to remind that breaking up can
bring us weakness and that's what the Burma's junta want to see it
happens. Before I close, I would to mention a few quotes from a Book
"Freedom From Fear-and other writings" by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and Josef
Silverstein:

Josef Silverstein;
-----------------
 ....She is her father's daughter- intelligent,honest,tough and fearless.
Most of all, she has no past connection with the failures of the
democratic government of U Nu or the corrupt, incompetent and brutal
dictatorship of Ne Win and his military successors....

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
 ... Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing. Nor upon
tradition, nor upon rumours... When you know for yourself that certain
things are unwholesome and wrong, abandom them.... When you know for
yourself that certain things are wholesome and good, accept them.

[Today's military regime in Burma can be considered as the fifth
generation of miltary ruler since Ne Win's no nonsense dictatorial era.(
i.e Ne Win, Sein Lwin/Dr Maung Maung, Saw Maung and Than Shwe)]