ACT- Labor- ABSDO's thanks

We, members of All Burma Student's Democratic Organization ( Australia)

Would like to express our heartfelt thanks to Labor opposition  MLA Simon
Corbell
of ACT and Australian Labor Party  for standing firm  with the Burmese
people, in response to the report that Mr Simon Corbell
voiced against ACT liberal govt contract to do business with the ruthless
junta in Burma (AAP NEWSFEED March 31, 1999, Wednesday )
 . We believe doing business with military regime is simply wrong as it is
benefiting the regime which suppress the entire populace of Burma over three
decades.
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi ,leader of Committee Representing People's Parliament
CRPP)  and pro-democracy movement said' The so-called ' open-market economy
is only open to some. Commercial contacts are certainly not going to help
Burmese people get democratic ideas. New investment help a small elite get
richer."
We request Mr Simon Corbell
and ALP to intensify the campaign to impose tough actions from all levels
of authority against the brutal SPDC regime.
We strongly call on the Australian government to apply firm pressure on the
military regime in Burma to:
- recognize the right of  CRPP to convene the peoples' Parliament as per
1990 elections results;
- engage in peaceful dialogue with CRPP
- free all political prisoners , including students and students leader Min
Ko Naing
- re-open all universities, colleges and recognize the establishment of
students unions
Unless these demands are met , we urge the Australian govt to impose
economic sanctions against the military regime and we urge the state and
territory govts to adopt ' Selective Purchasing Laws resulting in companies
who has business with regime being banned from any trade with state or
territory govts.

Central Committee
  All Burma Student's Democratic Organization ( Australia)
3.3.99

http://members.tripod.com/~thadoe_aung/absdo.html