Dr. Michael Aris services: Message

Subject: Dr. Michael Aris services: Message from ACFOA

FROM
Sharmini Sherrard
Australia Council for Overseas Aid
Human Rights Office (ACFOA)

Dear Friends

Please find:
       1. Attached copy of the letter ACFOA has sent to
          Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on the passing away of her
          husband Dr. Michael Aris.
       2. Times of memorial services being held on Friday,
          2nd April in Melbourne and Sydney.
          Please circulate these as widely as possible.
       3. A media release from the NLD.

Best wishes
Sharmini Sherrard

Daw Suu has asked for an inter-faith memorial service to be held
on Friday, 2nd April to coincide with the traditional 7 day
ceremony she will hold in Rangoon.

Melbourne service:
==================
St Mark's Anglican Church, Cnr. Canterbury & Burke Rds
Camberwell at *5pm*.
There will be a candle lighting ceremony, christian and
buddhist prayers and speakers, including Garry Woodard.

Sydney service:
==============
Town Hall square at *6:30 pm*.
Includes candle lighting.

For more information: Pls contact: Burma Office (02) 9264 7694
Tin Zar Lwin (02) 9554 6394 or 0414 399 595

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Press Release

1.      Dr. Michael Aris, beloved husband of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
General Secretary of the National League of Democracy passed away
at 06:00 hours on the 27th March 1999.

2.      With complete devotion and a spirit of compassion and love
Dr. Michael Aris gave his full support to his wife who is engaged in
unfathomable depths of difficulties in the struggle for democracy and
human rights in Burma.

3.      The National League for Democracy expresses its gratitude and
appreciation to friends from many countries who assisted and showed such
compassion to Dr. Michael Aris during his illness.

4.      On behalf of all those whose yearning is for democracy and on behalf
of all the members of the National League for Democracy, we express our
heartfelt condolences to our General Secretary, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
her two son, Ko Myint San Aung and Ko Htein Lin on the death of Dr.
Michael Aris.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon
54 University Avenue
Rangoon
Burma

Dear Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,

The Australian Council for Overseas Aid (ACFOA), particularly the
members of our Burma Working Group, would like to express our
deepest sympathies to you and your two sons Alexander and Kim
on the passing away of your husband.

We pay tribute to the great contribution Dr Michael Aris has made
to the struggle of the Burmese people for democracy and human
rights, including the enormous sacrifice of being separated from
you during these difficult years.  His loss will be keenly
felt by the many supporters of the Burmese struggle.  We are most
sorry that despite international appeals he was not allowed to be
with you during his illness.  We are acutely aware of the many
personal sacrifices that you and your family have made.

We hope that you will continue to draw on the great strength and
courage that you have always displayed which is a source of
inspiration, guidance and leadership to the National League
for Democracy and its many supporters and sympathisers in Burma
and around the world.  ACFOA takes this opportunity to reaffirm
our continued support for the realisation of democracy and
human rights in Burma.

We are deeply sorry that you cannot be with your sons during
this time of grief and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Yours sincerely
JANET HUNT
Executive Director
Australia Council for Overseas Aid, Human Rights Office
124 Napier St, Fitzroy, Melbourne VIC 3065, Australia
tel: +61 3 9417 7505, Sri Lanka Project: +61 3 9417 7238
fax: +61 3 9416 2746
email: acfoahr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     WWW: http://www.acfoa.asn.au