NLD Press Release in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Press Release

1. 	Dr. Michael Aris, beloved husband of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, General
Secretary of the National League of Democracy passed away at 06:00 hours
on the 27th March 1999.

2.	With complete devotion and a spirit of compassion and love
Dr. Michael Aris gave his full support to his wife who is engaged in
unfathomable depths of difficulties in the struggle for democracy and
human rights in Burma.

3.	The National League for Democracy expresses its gratitude and
appreciation to friends from many countries who assisted and showed such
compassion to Dr. Michael Aris during his illness.

4.	On behalf of all those whose yearning is for democracy and on behalf
of all the members of the National League for Democracy, we express our
heartfelt condolences to our General Secretary, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
her two son, Ko Myint San Aung and Ko Htein Lin on the death of Dr.
Michael Aris.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon