EXT: CLINTON 3/27 REMARKS ON DEATH

Subject: EXT: CLINTON 3/27 REMARKS ON DEATH OF DR. MICHAEL ARIS

TEXT: CLINTON 3/27 REMARKS ON DEATH OF DR. MICHAEL ARIS

(Clinton says U.S. will keep working for Burma's freedom) (260)

Washington - President Clinton offered his condolences to the family
of Dr. Michael Aris, the husband of Burmese human rights and democracy
activist Aung San Suu Kyi, in a March 27 statement.

The President said he wanted to reaffirm that the United States would
continue to work for the day "when Burma is reunited with the family
of freedom."

Following is the text of President Clinton's statement:

(begin text)

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
Washington, D.C.

For Immediate Release
March 27, 1999

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

Death of Dr. Michael Aris

The First Lady and I were saddened to learn of the death of Dr.
Michael Aris, a scholar of Tibetan and Himalayan Studies at Oxford
University. We offer our sincere condolences to his wife, Aung San Suu
Kyi, his sons Alexander and Kim, and other family members.

Dr. Aris's perseverance and dedication to his wife and family, and to
the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma, earned him the
respect and admiration of citizens around the world. At this difficult
time, I want to reaffirm to Michael's family and to all the people of
Burma that the United States will keep working for the day when all
who have been separated and sent into exile by the denial of human
rights in Burma are reunited with their families, and when Burma is
reunited with the family of freedom.

(end text)